Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Grizzly G0490x assembly tips?

Any Grizzly G0490x assembly tips?

Thanks to the reviews on SMC I purchased a Grizzly G0490x 8" jointer. I am upgrading from a Delta 6" I have had for years. My shop is in my basement and I think an 8" is all I can lug down the 4 stairs. The decision was also helped along by getting the magical 10% coupon forwarded to me by another Creeker, thanks again, the jointer arrived today.

I have read a bunch of threads and found a few "assembly tips" here and there. I'm sure I missed some so if you have any please post them. We still have about a foot of snow here so it will be a couple of weeks before I can drive around to the hatchway and get it into the basement.

Any unpacking, assembly, cleaning, moving, adjusting, etc. tips would sure be appreciated.

Thanks

image.jpg

Jebediah,

The G090X has a history of having pulley set screws loosening and thus misalignments occur. When I got mine, I took the time to use a threadlocker. I removed all the set screws including the one on the drive motor, put thread locker on them and reinstalled them. I haven't had a single problem.

Congratulations! I truly enjoy mine. It's not perfect but it's a great bang for the buck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I would probably open the carton enough to get the book out. The book explains each step to assembly, and cleanup as well. WD 40 works well, as does paint thinner. Lots of paper towels. I like the little tube wd40 comes with to wash around the cutters if you got the helical head. And if the boxes are going to set outside, get a plastic tarp to cover it with.

It is really easy to put together; you shouldn't need any tips.
    I use a credit card to get 90% of the gunk off. Am I the only person to do this? I have never seen anyone else suggest it.

THanks Ken, I did pick that up from an earlier post, I will definitely do that.

The boxes are in the garage until they can be moved, and I will try the credit card trick for sure.

Jebediah
    I will be very interested to hear how it goes for you. I just received and installed my first Grizzly power tool today, GO 691 Table Saw. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the instructions and the quality of the machine, I certainly was. I have an 8 inch jointer on the way without the spiral cutter head (hope I haven't made a mistake here). Please let us know your thoughts once installed.

I just bought this jointed a few weeks ago and put it together. I followed directions step by step, dust didn't see any steps telling me to take the side panels off the base. Figured it out myself and it made putting together pretty simple. I expected it to come without a plug like several of my other grizzly tools, but it came preinstalled, so I had to go get the matching socket, which is different than mY other Grizzly tools. Take your time and you will be up and running in 2-3 hours. Love the tool by the way. The spiral head is very quiet....

Ive had this jointer for about 8 months and you will really like using it. I had trouble aligning the beds with a straight edge so I gave up in that and just started running some boards on edge to get my correct height. Run a board adjust and repeat. Didn't take long at all. I check my fence to make sure its 90 degrees every time I use it because it seam to get out of adjustment after I use it for a while. Not an issue to me because for the price its a excellent tool.
    It is really quite and the dust collection works good.

I have the same machine. It's a very simple build. You'll have no problems.

Red

( I used to live up the street from you on Eastwood Drive in East Hartland! I owned/ran wood stiles woodworking from there at the time.)
    RED

Blog Entries
    Locate an even section of floor for the assembly. My shop has a slanted floor so I can't find a level spot but, I can find an even one . Assemble the base leaving the sides off. Have help for aligning the motor (I used a small block and tackle from a rafter, worked great). As mentioned, when you align the pulleys, make sure you double check the tightening of your allen screws. The newer versions already have closed chutes and serpentine belts so the previous "standard" fixes to the DJ-20 format machines are not an issue on this version. Once you have the base even on the floor, the motor positioned and whatever else is involved with the switch (IIRC), have a friend help you lift the tool onto it and fasten it down. I added a longer cord during assembly. I also added a bit of UHWM tape to the fence 'foot' where it contacts the table to ease sliding/avoid scratching. I don't know if the small measuring rule rabbet is still present at the left end of the fence but, the edge on this was quite sharp and I eased it with a file.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks. I went out this morning and debated an attempt at getting it around back to the hatchway. Not going to happen. Tips are great I will update when I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    I have the same machine. It's a very simple build. You'll have no problems.

Red

( I used to live up the street from you on Eastwood Drive in East Hartland! I owned/ran wood stiles woodworking from there at the time.)

Small world, if you look up on net there's a story about a woodworking shop that burned two days ago. I guess the boiler exploded it said? I looked it up on the map of East Hartland but it has a different address then you were at. I forget the name. I'm not sure your place is still there? It looks residential on the map, I will have to take a drive by and check it out.

I have this jointer too. Clean the beds while it's in the box. If you search my name - I had problems getting tables aligned and found they used too many shims under one of the cutter heads bearing blocks. I think it's quicker/easier to align the tables to each other and then shim the head to be parallel to the tables.

Mike

Thanks Mike makes sense.

Ken, what color loctite did you use. I recall there is a few for different purposes but it's been a long time since I have used it.

Blue is what you want: serviceable. Holds stiff in place, but you can take bolts back out if you ever have to.