Thread: Mahogony goblet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mahogony goblet

Turned from a cutoff headed for the scrap pile when I went to visit another turner. I have shown the box before, but included it as they show so well together. 8" tall, 3" diameter walnut oil and lightly buffed.
    DSC_2167.jpgDSC_2168.jpg

I have three more pieces of this, one will make another goblet or a vase and one a plate. I may be able to get a small HF from the other. The wood is over 100 years old. The turner I got the pieces from was turning a bowl from the heart wood.

C&C welcome of course.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very nice and so very delicate.

Nice Thom and I like the colors and finish. They do go very well together as a set, nice work!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Daryl, Steve thanks for the comments. This is probably the best bowl on any goblet I've turned. I was able to keep the bowl thicknes very constant all the way to the base. Usually they get a good bit thicker ot the base.

I love how the Mahogany works. We have several turners down here that turn very little else.

That sure is a nice goblet Thom! I think you have the proportions for the goblet very pleasing. It is even more impressive that the wood was headed for the scrap pile and you made that! It sure does go nice with the box.

Good looking goblet Thom, I like the stem as well as the bowl, the wood does show it was getting close to the rotting stage, even more so on the Pot, and the lid doesn’t appeal to me, the same wood would be nicer I think, but that’s just my taste, it has good form and certainly looks good otherwise
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Good looking goblet Thom, I like the stem as well as the bowl, the wood does show it was getting close to the rotting stage, even more so on the Pot, and the lid doesn’t appeal to me, the same wood would be nicer I think, but that’s just my taste, it has good form and certainly looks good otherwise
    Leo, when I did the box I did not have any more mahogany that came anywhere near matching so I stained some maple to tone it down a bit. Now that I do have a little, I may turn a new top. The box was spalted, but not at all punky. On the goblet, that's just the sap wood showing. It was as solid as the heartwood.

Great turnings.

Thom, one of the first things I ever turned back in the eighties on my old Craftsman tube lathe was a goblet. More of a flute, really, made of black walnut. I didn't know about hollowing then, so it was really a spindle turning that ended up as a funny looking candle stick. I haven't wanted to do one since, but this is inspiring. Really beautiful, delicate work and nice wood. I'd worry a bit about stability, but if it hasn't moved yet, I guess it isn't going to. Thanks for posting.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Doug this was really dry wood and mahogany is extremely stable.