Thread: Bend t Handle

Bend t Handle

Looking for advise,to straighten this bent t handle ,Tryd to myself couldn't move it at all.Thought I had someone to make me several to replace the bent on and missing one,but that didn't pan out.
    The handle hold the fence square on my Oliver jointer.
    Ive been using a bolt but that's getting old always looking for the wrench.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you have, or know someone with a press, that's how i'd do it (If I wanted to keep that handle).
    I keep 1/2" plate around my shop for jigging up stuff like this. In this case, I'd probably drill a hole through a piece of plate larger than the threaded stud and weld a nut to the plate centered over the hole. Then thread the handle into the nut to where it's bent and apply press pressure at the right point to straighten it out.

As an alternative, weld a wrench (or rod, or whatever) to the end of a new grade 8 bolt, voila - a new handle
    You could even cut that stud off and weld a new one on to the old handle part if that's important to you.

Me personally, I don't like those kind of handles anyway. I'd buy a box end wrench TIG the box end to a new bolt, cut off the open end and make nice and round/smooth handle.

Sorry, but so cal is a bit far from Katy Texas or I'd gladly invite you over and fab something up for you. Good luck.

You could try threading enough nuts on it to cover the threads then clamp in a heavy work vice. Apply heat above the threads and tap straight with a hammer. It likely won't be perfect but it should be much better.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks guys, I did try bend it back with nuts stacked and held in a vise.Maybe I didn't get it hot enough.
    I do like the idea of cutting off the bent part and welding a new bolt.
    I think Thats the ticket if I can't bend it back straight,it's got to be pretty straight or I risk goofing the threads in the casting.

Thanks again

Straightening the threaded section would be more trouble than its worth. Cut it off and weld on a bolt or have a new one made.