Thread: Turners sanding systems

Blog Entries

Turners sanding systems

What are the turners using for sanding their lathe projects?
    I found VincesWoodNWonder doing a search on this forum. Is it a good sanding system? Are their others worth checking into? Perhaps a cheaper alternative?

Thanks in advance
    Curtis

I buy all my sanding discs, mandrels and interface pads from Vince. He's one of hte good guys and the products are top notch. I use an electric $35 Harbor Freight right angle drill for the power. Works well and when it finally breaks, I won't have any tears shed over $35 and will buy another one just like it.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I just discovered Vince has some video clips up on You Tube. He doesn't go into sanding that much though. I have found his blue discs to be the best ones out there. The only ones that cut as well are the Norton Dry Ice discs, but they, last time I checked, cost over twice as much. Firm disc with the radius edge for grits up through 180, and the tapered orange ones up to 400 which is as high as I go. Slow speeds of 600 or so max for the coarser grits, and a bit slower as you go to finer grits. If you go too fast, the abrasives are not able to really dig in and cut. You don't get as much 'traction' at high speeds. Low pressure, as in nothing more than the weight of the drill.

Now, I have to find a good sander. The angle drills are nice, but they are made for drilling, and not grinding, which is really what we use them for. The motors seem to be strong enough, but the bearings and housing aren't made for what we do to them, which is why they wear out. I am working on that one. I don't like tools that are designed to wear out and then you buy another one.

robo hippy

For disc material, I haven't found any better source than Vince. Excellent products, service and cost - hard to beat that combination. For sheet goods, I buy USA1 paper from onlineindustrialsupply.com. Excellent paper and price. I get 12 small squares/rectangles from each sheet and store those and the discs in tilt bins that are labeled.

I had the green discs and found the higher numbers came off easily. I buy from 2Sand now but now they are hard to get off and have to be careful not to tear up my backing pads. I like power sanding but found there is still a need for hand sanding with the lathe running.

I get all my sanding supplies from Vince - nothing better out there as far as I am concerned! Also, I use the cheapest drill I could find (Menards 3/8" variable speed for $15) and couldn't be happier! The cheap drill I bought - figured it would last me maybe a year... 6 years later and it is still going strong! Course, now that I said something....
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Vince's blue discs using a Neiko "close quarters drill" (about $40). I have one of the HF angle drills as a backup but strongly prefer the Neiko. Blow them out periodically and they (or mine at least) last a pretty long time.

I tend to hand sand above 220, however.

I like Vince's disks and similar disks from Klingspor. I find the "close quarters drill" (Neiko and other knockoffs of Souix) to be comfortable to use but my HF angle drill has been more durable.

+1 on Vince who is also quite a nice guy and very supportive of clubs/symposiums and the like. The opening of my dust collector is conveniently located such that I just put drill and all just inside the opening when I am adjusting/looking/fooling around. This really pulls the dust out of the drill and has made a real cheap big box drill last for several years now.

Hi Curtis,
    Feel free to call me toll free 877.284.8969. After 4 EST is usually best! If I am not in I will call you back ASAP! I will be happy to answer all your questions.
    Thank you, Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

Just dropped $100+ with him. He's my source, best line of options, best prices.
    Change One Thing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Welch View Post
    Hi Curtis,
    Feel free to call me toll free 877.284.8969. After 4 EST is usually best! If I am not in I will call you back ASAP! I will be happy to answer all your questions.
    Thank you, Vince
    Thank you for the offer Vince but I already ordered a 2" and a 3" starter kits from you. Looks like your products are well like on SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Myers View Post
    Looks like your products are well like on SMC.
    They are, and Vince is a great guy to work with. I use his disks and interface pads and a mix of pads including homebrew. I have his blue, green and gold disks and like them all. I use the blue mainly in the lower grit for outside work and the green and gold in the higher and for inside of bowls as they conform to the curve better.

I also use 'The Sanding Glove' for sheet goods and a few of the Norton 'Dry Ice' disks in the coarse grits, but I usually get them once a year at the Florida Symposium.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).