Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dining table with natural edge bookmatched figured maple boards

Blog Entries
    Very nice looking table. I really like the leg design.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Woodworkers see a lot of natural edge tops, so I think we tend to see them much the same. What really pops a natural edge top is the design of the base and legs. Here is where your piece wins the gold medal. The use of black with the strong sculptural angles and tile is superb. The bubinga - a risky move - works perfectly IMO.

Home run.

Thank you Lee and Tom !

Thankfully there was no rush to finish this project so I mocked up various gable versions with Photoshop and slept on it before moving forward.

I came close to cutting off the simulated wane edge on the bubinga a few times but in the end that element grew on me

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Beautiful project well executed. You are an inspiration, as I have several highly figured 2" and 3" thick live-edged maple planks (some with spalting) that I'm trying to figure out how to best use. I really like the angular form of the base and legs and the contrast between the black and spalted maple. Stunning.

Beautiful table Don....Colors of the top/legs and the stretcher/feet work great together. I really like the figure of the legs. Well done!

I really like your design Don. And honestly, the use of the ceramic in the center is both beautiful and practical...built-in trivets for hot food while providing some great contrast to the beautiful figured wood. Bravo!

Honestly...I may steal your design someday for the dining table I have on my long list of project possibilities.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I completely agree with all the comments. It's so well designed and executed. The boards are outstanding, and you've showcased them in such a natural, yet innovative way. I aspire to this design and execution.

Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Patton View Post
    Beautiful project well executed. You are an inspiration, as I have several highly figured 2" and 3" thick live-edged maple planks (some with spalting) that I'm trying to figure out how to best use. I really like the angular form of the base and legs and the contrast between the black and spalted maple. Stunning.
    Thank you Evan.

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    Beautiful table Don....Colors of the top/legs and the stretcher/feet work great together. I really like the figure of the legs. Well done!
    Thanks Joe,

I don't think a dissimilar figured maple board would have worked as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I really like your design Don. And honestly, the use of the ceramic in the center is both beautiful and practical...built-in trivets for hot food while providing some great contrast to the beautiful figured wood. Bravo!

Honestly...I may steal your design someday for the dining table I have on my long list of project possibilities.
    Thanks Jim, steal away

The tactile sensation of the tiles is hard to describe, it just feels wonderful ! Perhaps I'll be wiping it down a little more regularly, he, he...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I completely agree with all the comments. It's so well designed and executed. The boards are outstanding, and you've showcased them in such a natural, yet innovative way. I aspire to this design and execution.

Thanks for posting.
    Thank you Prashun...

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

fantastic !!! great job

Thank you Joseph,

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

Really nice project. I realy like the contrasting grains and colors.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

this is the most complete live edge table that I have come across. the whole table flows from top to bottom and there was thought put into the composition of it. Don I think that you should get it out there somewhere where someone an purchase it and let them live with it.
    most live edge tables are made without thought. Most that make these live edge table think that their big slab of wood speaks for itself. it is just a big slab that just about any can buy. they then buy and weld up some steel tubing or whatever and call it a base and now they have a dynamic table. then they say 20,000.00 pls( perhaps not pls just 20,000.00). they buy the slab and then it get it surfaced under some big cnc router and perhaps a bit of sanding and then finish. they don't compare to what is here in the way of craftsmanship and aesthetics.
    Don you have inspired me to repurpose something that I have and hope that come close to achieving what you have done with this. mine will have a real edge to it though
    ron

Thank you Ron for your kind and thoughtful words !

Marketing has always been a challenge. Of all the things I've tried word of mouth is still the most consistent..

I mostly keep busy with commissioned work but spec pieces can take time to sell, sigh...

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

The Photobucket link to progress shots seems to be working again...

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/don...?sort=3&page=1

Cheers, Don
    Product Photographer

Incredible artistry and craftmanship. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!