Thread: Calipers, Digital Dial?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Calipers, Digital Dial?

The chair making classes I have taken so far have tested round straight and tapered tenons for correct size with a ruler or simple mechanical calipers. I had a hard time telling how much more needed to be removed by trying to fit a mechanical caliper over the tenons I was turning on a lathe. There is quite a large selection of digital dial calipers available for around $30. The Starrett model is about 3x the cost and seems to have the exact same scales. The time savings and peace of mind one of these devices could provide seems to suggest one would be more than worth the cost. I imagine these calipers provide at least as accurate a measurement as I can come up with trying to measure the distances with a ruler or ruler and mechanical caliper? I believe it would be handy to be able to check outside stock dimensions, mortise dimensions, tenon dimensions, inside groove dimensions....I'm sure the measurements would be much easier, faster and less strain on the brain.

Peter Galbert came up with a caliper design that Benchmade now makes for turners. I believe this devise is specifically made to work in the groove made in turnings with a parting tool. For twice the money and a fraction of the uses though I think a digital caliper would provide a great deal more general woodworking utility?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-29-2015 at 12:50 AM.