Thread: Skirt or no skirt

Skirt or no skirt

I have a table that I have been working on. I have a top that is 41in long 17wd and 7/8in thick, the legs are tapered on all sides. the legs will be attached with cinch plates to the bottom of table top, I dont know if it will look right without a skirt or not, so I would like some opinions and or advice. Thanks in advance for any help.

This type of questions is one of the reasons that has caused me to embrace SketchUp. Although I struggle with it a bit, I can make a 3D model of my projects and decide whether I like the proportions and features, before putting blade to wood.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what a cinch plate is. How long are the legs going to be?

My preference would be for a skirt with the ends morticed into the legs to give them additional support.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I agree with Phil. A few minutes in SketchUp and I think you'd have your answer.

Personally, I think it would look strange without aprons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I agree with Phil. A few minutes in SketchUp and I think you'd have your answer.

Personally, I think it would look strange without aprons.
    Good example, Dave.

What had popped into my head was some of the George Nakashima stuff, with the round tapered legs that are splayed (like chair legs) with no stretchers. A look I don't particularly like.

Thanks, Phil. I guess we don't have enough info at this point to know but maybe splayed legs are what the OP has in mind. If that is the case, I could see a low coffee table without aprons. Maybe that's what he has in mind.

its will get a skirt

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Thanks, Phil. I guess we don't have enough info at this point to know but maybe splayed legs are what the OP has in mind. If that is the case, I could see a low coffee table without aprons. Maybe that's what he has in mind.
    Thanks for the input, that sketchup drawing shows clearly, the table with the skirt is easier on the eyes.