Thread: bandsaw power feeder

bandsaw power feeder

We are thinking of putting a power feed on our 20" 5 hp Aggazani saw in order to improve the cut consistency over handfeeding for resawing veneers. We are currently using a Lenox carbide blade and getting very good results but for the inevitable slight stutters when changing hand position. We need something that will maintain pressure on sequential cuts through a thick piece without adjustment. Anyone with experience with a similar size saw have suggestions for models/ features to look at? Or any nifty non-powered self-adjusting pressure roller devices for hand feeding?

You probably saw that this topic has been brought up here before (search for "bandsaw power feeder") and of course there are numerous factory units available such as Comatic. I haven't used any. There was also a discussion on Practical Machinist a bit back about building one. The target saw was a 20" like yours, though in the end I think he bought a used unit. Good luck!

Probably a smaller to medium sized feeder for that size saw. The older Aggis had a lighter trunnion set up so you want to be careful not to put so much stress on the table as to damage it. The last models beefed that up. The full sized feeders need a larger saw to handle them.

I own a medium comatic bandsaw feeder for my MM20. I wish the bandsaw table was 3" wider. I had to add a steel tube spacer to make it fit correctly. You can see where it sits in the picture below half on and half off. Its currently off my machine and will go back on someday when I get in the new shed. Bandsaw feeders are very large. Don't let medium fool you.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike, are you using the VFD or the feeder controls for speed control? Also, looks like the Driftmaster installed on front of the table. Does the Comatic roller fence play nice (is it easy to install and adjust) when you want to use it?

We have the Univer resaw feeder mounted on our 36" Aggazani. It works well. I am convinced the blade is everything for light duty resawing and think a lighter duty feeder would work as well. It will mount to either side of the blade and I am thinking of moving it to the inside to be easier to de mount it when not in use.
    We only use skins for interior doors and that usually involves sawing out 50 to 150 or so pieces. With Tersa heads we are able to plane down most species to 3mm with out issues. Knotty Alder we usually sand with the steel roller.

We are using Lenox bimetal blades but want to try their carbide when the present blades wear out.

Centauro makes the nicest add on feeder I have seen for bandsaws. They have a air cylinder to keep pressure on the feeder. I have never seen those in the US and could not find any on their web site. Maybe they don't have anymore.

Univer feeder.jpg
    univer feeder1.jpg

We also use the resaw fence in combination with Aigner rollers. I will get a picture of that later
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 03-26-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Probably a smaller to medium sized feeder for that size saw. The older Aggis had a lighter trunnion set up so you want to be careful not to put so much stress on the table as to damage it. The last models beefed that up. The full sized feeders need a larger saw to handle them.
    This ^^^

I would be cautious about mounting a feeder to the table of an Agazzani. Though they have the nicest table finish of any Italian BS, they also have the thinnest casting. Just be aware of that. This is how my colleague Sam does it with the regular-type three-wheel Steff unit and Aigner extension table. The BS' table bears none of the weight this way...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    ...Centauro makes the nicest add on feeder I have seen for bandsaws. They have a air cylinder to keep pressure on the feeder. I have never seen those in the US and could not find any on their web site. Maybe they don't have anymore...
    Regrettably, I don't believe there is any US dealer for Centauro machinery aside from our bandsaws. At least none I am aware of. Comatic seems to be the most common option for someone who wants a permanently mounted BS feeder.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, judging by the ratio of the distance from the feeder to the table extension leg, versus feeder to bandsaw table, the bandsaw table is supporting most of the weight of the feeder...........Regards, Rod.

Kevin,
    Here is the resaw setup using the Aigner rollers. We normally keep the 36" saw set up as a dedicated resaw with the power feeder. We recently had a job that required curve sawing 6" thick material and making skins in small quantities. Back and fourth so we pulled the feeder and just used the Aigner rollers with the big back fence.
    It actually worked pretty well. The Univer feeder is heavy and even the fence is almost too heavy for one person. We are going to keep it off till a large resaw job comes around.
    Joe

Resaw with Aigner.jpg

Thanks for all the responses. I am not convinced that we need power feeding for the quantities that we do, but consistent pressure should cut down on the wobbles that we get with hand feeding. I think the Aigner pressure module with two rollers above and two below may be what we need.

Kevin,
    I think it would be worth a try. I just looked at some Sapele skins we sawed that way and could not tell the difference with some done with the feeder.
    We use those rollers for a lot of things so it would not be wasted.
    Joe