Thread: Help outfitting/upgrading older mini lathe

Help outfitting/upgrading older mini lathe

So after just finishing with my first turning project (Cherry bottle opener), I realize that I need to get some better accessories for my Klein mini lathe (Been told it's a Taig Lathe). It's 2-1/2" to the bed, so a 5" capacity and can handle up to 15" long (Excuse my lack of proper terminology).

It's got a MT #1 on the head stock and the outside diameter of the thread of the spindle is .75". The tailstock is just a pivot handle.

My problems with the machine with the little that I've used it, so far are:

1. Belt changes are cumbersome as I have to unscrew the two flat head bolts, take off piece off, lift the motor and move the belt.
    2. I want to get a chuck so that it's easier to work with stuff on it as I currently only have a mounting plate and a spur center, what are suggestions for better stock mounting (Nova Chuck?)
    3. The tool rest is tricky to move around and lock in place with it's current setup, how can I go about improving that or just replacing it all together? It's also pretty narrow, so would be nice to get a longer one.
    4. As with the tool rest, locking in the tailstock isn't all that reliable. Are there improvements to this that I can make?

Eventually I think I'd like to also purchase a larger lathe once I get the hang of this and want to start working on bowls and such. Is it worth it to upgrade this much or should I just use it as is and just use it as a learning tool?

My current list of things I plan on turning are:
    Pens Blanks
    Bottle Openers, etc. etc.
    Candle holders
    Small bowls/boxes
    Tool Handles

Thanks in advance for the help

Headstock_Pulley.jpgHeadstock_Spindle.jpgMotor_Mount.jpgTailstock.jpgTool_Rest.jpgAccessories.jpg

Go to Lee Valley Tools to see their accessories, or direct to Taig Tools. Not sure tghat much 'upgrading' is possible beyond accessories.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

looks like you got plenty til you want to do bigger stuff......check out http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...nie-klein.aspx

you can do a lot wiith that lathe......I saw her demo in Utah......part of my bucket list

I have never used that lathe but looking at the pics.. these are just my thoughts.
    1. I would mount the motor to a plywood base behind the lathe. Put a hinge at the front of the base. If the motor is not heavy enough to keep proper tension add a bolt with wing nut at the rear of the base to loosen to apply/release tension. This was the way an old Jet that I had was made.
    2. The G3 should work fine. Nova should have an appropriate adapter for your spindle.
    3. Can't help with that but a longer rest should not be a problem, just need the same size post.
    4. It looked "odd" so I pulled up some photos on Bing. I think the tailstock should be turned around; locking lever to the outside. That is how it is shown in other pics. Of course the quill would be inserted from the other direction also. There may be a screw for adjustment under the locking plate on the tailstock in order for it to lock more securely.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    looks like you got plenty til you want to do bigger stuff......check out http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...nie-klein.aspx

you can do a lot wiith that lathe......I saw her demo in Utah......part of my bucket list
    I just purchased the book and it will be on it's way. I also received a few other basic turning books to go over the basics, which will be great late night reading for me. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    I have never used that lathe but looking at the pics.. these are just my thoughts.
    1. I would mount the motor to a plywood base behind the lathe. Put a hinge at the front of the base. If the motor is not heavy enough to keep proper tension add a bolt with wing nut at the rear of the base to loosen to apply/release tension. This was the way an old Jet that I had was made.
    2. The G3 should work fine. Nova should have an appropriate adapter for your spindle.
    3. Can't help with that but a longer rest should not be a problem, just need the same size post.
    4. It looked "odd" so I pulled up some photos on Bing. I think the tailstock should be turned around; locking lever to the outside. That is how it is shown in other pics. Of course the quill would be inserted from the other direction also. There may be a screw for adjustment under the locking plate on the tailstock in order for it to lock more securely.
    1 - I found this during a search and think this is what you're referring to. I think I've done enough practice turning for now to allow me to take the lathe apart and mount it something like this:
    http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/taig_motor_mount.htm
    2 - For a beginner, is a 4 jaw chuck fine or should I look for a 3 jaw chuck? Also, it looks like there's 2 versions of the G3, 48202 and 48232. The 48232 is reversible, which I don't need, but I'm not sure if there's any other differences.

For a beginner, is a 4 jaw chuck fine or should I look for a 3 jaw chuck?
    4 jaw for wood
    The 48232 is reversible
    reversible is good for sanding in both directions......there are some noteable turners who turn while running in reverse, they have their reasons......if running in reverse, must use set screw

Although metal oriented you can check http://littlemachineshop.com/default.php too. Also look at Sherline to see what maybe compatible from their lathe.
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 03-26-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Quote Originally Posted by David B Thornton View Post
    1 - I found this during a search and think this is what you're referring to. I think I've done enough practice turning for now to allow me to take the lathe apart and mount it something like this:
    http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/taig_motor_mount.htm
    2 - For a beginner, is a 4 jaw chuck fine or should I look for a 3 jaw chuck? Also, it looks like there's 2 versions of the G3, 48202 and 48232. The 48232 is reversible, which I don't need, but I'm not sure if there's any other differences.
    That mount for the motor should work fine. Even easier than my suggestion of a wing nut using the toggle latch.

You do want a four jaw scroll chuck for woodworking. Nova is a good brand as is four or more other brands. Mine are Nova.
    The Nova 48232 is direct threaded for 1X8 so if your spindle is different it will not work. If you do have reverse on your lathe and want to use reverse the insert/adapter can have a set screw added in the hex to lock to the spindle. Some size inserts already come with the set screw. If you don't have reverse it doesn't matter.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    That mount for the motor should work fine. Even easier than my suggestion of a wing nut using the toggle latch.

You do want a four jaw scroll chuck for woodworking. Nova is a good brand as is four or more other brands. Mine are Nova.
    The Nova 48232 is direct threaded for 1X8 so if your spindle is different it will not work. If you do have reverse on your lathe and want to use reverse the insert/adapter can have a set screw added in the hex to lock to the spindle. Some size inserts already come with the set screw. If you don't have reverse it doesn't matter.
    So it looks like the 3/4" 16TPI adapters for the Nova chucks are sold out and not available any time soon. I then saw the PSI CSC300C Barracuda chuck, which comes with a 3/4" 16TPI adapter along with 4 jaw sets. It's a little more than the Nova I was looking at and everything I'm reading is that it's a very good chuck. You mentioned I should get a 4 jaw "Scroll" chuck, but I don't think the Barracuda is? I could be wrong as I'm just getting started, but will this chuck work just fine for me as well?
    http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworkin.../dp/B000KIACTG

I have a Taig mini lathe, I use mine only for metal working because I have a bigger wood lathe that is more suited to woodturning than the Taig is. The Barracuda chuck you posted should work, but in my opinion is more than the headstock was designed for. I have a Nova Midi chuck 48111 that I have used on the Taig, even it is bigger than the Taig chucks.

My first choice would be one of these. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC500K.html It only weighs one pound and has all 3 of the jaws. This chuck should handle almost anything the Taig is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    I have a Taig mini lathe, I use mine only for metal working because I have a bigger wood lathe that is more suited to woodturning than the Taig is. The Barracuda chuck you posted should work, but in my opinion is more than the headstock was designed for. I have a Nova Midi chuck 48111 that I have used on the Taig, even it is bigger than the Taig chucks.

My first choice would be one of these. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC500K.html It only weighs one pound and has all 3 of the jaws. This chuck should handle almost anything the Taig is capable of.
    I hadn't seen that one. You're right that the 1 lb. weight is better than 4 lbs. on the other one. I just ordered this one and it should work just fine for me for now. I'm sure by the time I want to upgrade, I'll be buying multiple chucks, just like I do with all of my tools. Want more, need more!