Thread: Stack the deck! -G0766 bed extension???

Stack the deck! -G0766 bed extension???

I have sent a formal request to Grizzly Industrial to make available a bed extension/tool rest assembly for the new G0766 22 x42 lathe, IF one can be made available from the manufacturer. They have certainly done it for other model lathes they produce!

I feel like there are a number of us who have ordered this lathe,who would like to see this accessory made available to us, so I think it would be good for them to hear from all those who might be interested in getting one sometime for this new lathe.

Here is part of the message I sent to them and asked for decision makers at Grizzly to not discount this as a piece of fluff equipment but an accessory that would mean a lot to us .....

"I would like to send this as a request, and ask Grizzly to carry this extension for the lathe if/when it becomes available from the manufacturer, as it would be a great service to your customers of this model lathe, and would allow us to configure our lathes to be even more versatile for projects we may need to do, and also one of the most important reasons is to be able to stand at the end of the lathe without having to bend at the back..........this saves a lot of turners from aggravating back issues, especially when a long day in the shop or studio is required for us to complete projects.

I would like to impress upon decision makers at Grizzly, that this is not just some fluff piece of equipment, but a highly desirable accessory, and for some turners a very important addition........so please, if it is possible make this available to us for the new G0766!

I very much appreciate if you would endeavor to fulfill this request if it is possible!"

If you have ordered one of these lathes, then perhaps an email to csr@grizzly.com would be in order!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Surprised at no responses yet........perhaps those who ordered have not seen the thread yet. Anyone else interested in this bed extension?

I just noticed this post, strange I didn't see it when I came in for lunch...

Anyway... what type of "bed extension" are you asking for? One that allows for swinging the tail stock out of the way? If so, that would be nice.

P.S. - I just checked the product page to see how this might attach and noticed the spec sheet is listed now, not sure how long it's been there.
    Last edited by James Conrad; 03-24-2015 at 6:14 PM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    I just noticed this post, strange I didn't see it when I came in for lunch...

Anyway... what type of "bed extension" are you asking for? One that allows for swinging the tail stock out of the way? If so, that would be nice.
    One that bolts onto the leg and has a lower position, and extension of the toolrest so one can turn larger platters and such off the end of the lathe. similar to this one David Roseman has for his G0733

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...for-cx802.html

Now I'm picking up what you're laying down... Sure, that too. If not, perhaps that one or the Laguna extension would fit.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Roger - you are, without a doubt the very definition of an optimistic soul. All you've got is a photo so far, and you're already ordering up accessories. With that in mind, you could just order up the one from BusyBee. All that's required is the mounting holes and a couple of bolts - the banjo and tool rest post are included in the price. Might have to paint it green, but...it already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    Roger - you are, without a doubt the very definition of an optimistic soul. All you've got is a photo so far, and you're already ordering up accessories. With that in mind, you could just order up the one from BusyBee. All that's required is the mounting holes and a couple of bolts - the banjo and tool rest post are included in the price. Might have to paint it green, but...it already exists.
    Jeff........you made me smile again! I believe in being proactive when possible, not just reactive!!! You know, the squeaky wheel gets the oil! Sometimes a little nudge in the right direction can do wonders, if decision makers are on the fence or perhaps have not considered something in the first place. Knowing that with as many new orders as they have already, and no doubt the numerous ones in the future, we as the turning community should speak as to the versatility we desire because of the ways we use their equipment!

Just like air conditioning on a car.......would not buy one now without it, so these manufacturers need to know there are certain accessories we want......they need to have the options available! That is what drove the development of VFD's on wood lathes to begin with........we needed low speed options without torque loss............sounds like a plan to me Jeff!

As to the unit from Busy Bee.......I would rather have one made for the G0766 if they make it available, and that way warranty is compatible, etc..............as to the "all I have got is a photo so far"....I am not concerned.......this is going to be a fine lathe! Thanks for the feedback!

I have the one from Busy Bee as well, installed on my GO698. The banjo is very light duty. I've only used it a few times and have noticed a lot of vibration in the tool rest. I suspect Grizzly doesn't carry it because someone there thinks it's not good enough, although that doesn't explain why the Canadians get it. US product liability laws?

That said, if the bolt hole pattern in the leg of the GO766 matches that in your GO698, it will be an easy to bolt on, inexpensive accessory. If the manufacturer makes a heavy duty version for the GO766, that is definitely the way to go.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Just some FYI
    BusyBee Tools is owned by the brother of the owner of Grizzly....or at least was, he founded BusyBee. "Back in the Day" they had an agreement that neither would sell in the other's "territory". Of course now Grizzly sells in Canada, so they either changed the agreement or the brother no longer owns BusyBee
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    Just some FYI
    BusyBee Tools is owned by the brother of the owner of Grizzly....or at least was, he founded BusyBee. "Back in the Day" they had an agreement that neither would sell in the other's "territory". Of course now Grizzly sells in Canada, so they either changed the agreement or the brother no longer owns BusyBee
    I don't know what changed in that arrangement [I have heard about it more than once over the years] but I had also heard that they were selling in Canada if orders were received. I wonder if BB is an owned subsidiary of Grizzly?

I think Roger is on the right track in seeking a unit designed for the G0766. As Doug says, the Busy Bee extension for the 18 x 47 lathes has a banjo that is light-duty, and in fact the cast iron extension itself is not what I would call very robust. No doubt it could be made to fit the G0766 simply by drilling some more holes, if the existing holes don't line up. But I myself wouldn't recommend it, given the greater power and swing of the G0766.

I checked the link James provided for the Laguna counterpart. It appears to be an identical unit, so that too is not something I'd put on a G0766. I noticed, BTW, that it's more than twice the current price of the Busy Bee Craftex after currency adjustment.

13. A more robust unit is what I prefer that is engineered for this size lathe. I suppose one could take a block of wood and support the end of the extension you have David, but that still leaves a light duty banjo/toolrest combo.

14. If you have ordered the G0766 and are intrested in a bed extension, would you please post that you would like to explore this possibility? I would loke to see how many are and also if you sent a request to Grizzly. Thanks!

15. I dunno if it is something I would use often but I would definitely be interested if it were available.