Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oops! Wood is too small for the chuck.

A chuck insert ring, like Michael describes would help. I've made a couple from cutting boards and UHMW scraps. If you are interested, PM me and I'll give some details.

Brian, try the corners thing--I've done it a lot. Cost is zero to try one.

Here's a solution for you to consider without buying or making anything. Your 50 mm. jaws will go down to almost 1 3/4 in, so why don't you turn a shoulder a little bigger on your square stock ?? There will be small flats but they will not interfere with the jaws gripping the turned portion. I have done this many times without any failures. Give it a try, think you will be happy.

Clint Merrill

I always thought that 8/4 stock was 2" thick and would fit into the 50mm jaws just fine. I am sure you measured the wood to get 1.75" and are not just guessing at it though.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Grabbing the corners works perfectly, believe me.

Leo's shop-made custom jaw suggestion is a technique every woodturner needs to develop. Those can be made in an infinite number of sizes and shapes, and they can be reused (and re-shaped) for future projects.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 03-26-2015 at 7:32 PM.

Yes, Robert, the 1-3/4" is a real measurement.

My first try at grabbing the corners failed. Probably because of the length of the piece - 8" including the gripped portion. I'll try that again, and one with rounded shoulders on a 6" piece.

…and the new jaws are somewhere in transit, due about Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have something like 10 sets of jaws for my Nova chucks (a G3 and a Midi). You can never have enough jaw sets. My saying originally was "I never have the right jaw set".

Now I do not have enough Nova chucks ...

What I have done with things as small as birdhouse ornaments is to:
    1. Turn the stock into round.
    2. If part of the inside is to be hollowed, drill a hole the size of a dowel. Tight fit is good.
    3. Cut a dowel to fit into the stock hole
    4. Put the other end in a collet chuck or spigot jaws.

That's the way I do it to avoid end grain gluing and still be able to use the entire length of the stock.
    You could also use a waste piece with a tenon to fit into the stock hole.

I'm sure there are many ways to accomplish your goal. I try to figure out a way to get by with what I have. Then I go and buy a new tool.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Links aren't opening for me so I'm not sure if this is what others are already talking about but I make bushings to fit if I have many pieces to make like you describe. Turn one end of your blank round between centers. The dimension can be a little rough but once it is completely round turn a ring that will slide over the blank and fit in the chuck jaws. Cut a slot through the ring so it can tighten up on the blank when you tighten the lathe jaws on the ring.

When I am cutting multiple pieces like this it is very fast since the same bushing ring is used over and over.

Hu