Thread: Wen Rotary Tool

Wen Rotary Tool

I can buy a Wen Rotary Tool with a flex shaft for $30 vs a Dremel without a rotary shaft for $69 - $119, depending on the model. Any one have or use the Wen? If so, is it a reasonable functioning tool, or a waste of $30. Thanks

Wen is not high end stuff. I once had a Wen router (1/4" collet). Gave it away just to get it out of the shop.
    'Bout the best thing under the Wen brand is a soldering gun.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Dremel isn't exactly what you would call a quality product any more either.
    I have no experience with the Wen, but, I do have some broken Dremel stuff that (IMHO) died far before they should have:
    - Multifunction tool
    - On/off switch on the 4000
    - 200 just quit working
    - Flex shaft chuck won't hold bits
    - Cordless screwdriver ball detente fell out and it won't hold bits.

All told, I have around $400 of useless Dremel junk.
    Pity, Dremel used to be a decent name.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Even grandfather's old Wen tools were inferior products, and that was 50+ years ago. They occupy space in the shop for sentimental reasons but never get used.

I have been using my Dremel for a long time with a flex shaft. I use it for light carving and sanding on scroll saw and Intarsia projects.

One can step up to a Foredom unit for a couple hundred dollars.

If you are looking for light to medium use, the Dremel is OK. For heavy use, look at a Foredom.

Sounds like it's hit or miss with the dremel, and nothing too positive for the Wen. I'll wait to see if a few more members weight in. Thanks.

the old joke about Wen was they should be called wen-not-if because it's just a question of when, not if, they will fail.