Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do You Store Your Hammers?

around a dozen hammers, hatchet and small pry bars thrown in the top shelf of my metal tool storage cabinet. grab the right one, use it, and throw it on top of the others. The heavily used ones migrate to the top of the pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    around a dozen hammers, hatchet and small pry bars thrown in the top shelf of my metal tool storage cabinet. grab the right one, use it, and throw it on top of the others. The heavily used ones migrate to the top of the pile.
    This inventory "system" actually has an accounting acronym of LIFO - last in first out ?

I have hooks on a pegboard and hang several hammers on each hook. The one I want is always not the one closest to me. It's a pain but I don't use them often enough to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    I have hooks on a pegboard and hang several hammers on each hook. The one I want is always not the one closest to me. It's a pain but I don't use them often enough to care.
    Similar to Ellen, I have pegboard over my "bench" (an old folding table) and I keep four hammers on these type of hooks: My great-grandfather's general purpose claw hammer, a medium ball-peen, a rubber mallet, and a hickory mallet. I will need those in the shop 99% of the time. I have others stored in various tool boxes and buckets around the shop, house, and garage: i.e., the ball peens with my metal-working gear; the small claw hammer in the tool kit in the laundry room; the wooden mallet (and froe), 2 lb. sledge (and hatchet) next to the fireplace; the hatchet and sledges (3 lb. & 8 lb.) that I keep with my firewood gear, etc.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    Unless you are supplying a shop full of workers, consider paring it down. A Claw or two (mild and tight hook), a Warrington, a Dead Blow, Sledge and a couple of mallets (one flat one round) and the rest go to friends and family ;-) Once you get to that, store them where used if stationary. If you travel, you pretty much gotta haul them so whatever system you are using for other tools still applies.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Why in the world do you need 20 hammers? I think I have 6, an 8oz, a 16oz, a rubber mallet, a dead-blow, a little brass hammer and a ball pein. Actually, I have 2 16oz claw hammers, only one of which I actually use, but one of my father's old hammers is on my board too. I have one other mallet that is stored elsewhere. Why have so many hammers?

I don't need so many hammers, but I have them. With the price of cheep Chinese tools, these don't have much resale value.

If I ever meet a deserving young person who shares my interest, I just may make his/hers day with a load of tools. Then I won't have so much excess in my shop.

John

Wow, I must be doing it all wrong.. I've got exactly one claw hammer and one dead-blow mallet. I can't imagine what I would do with 15 or 20 of them (aside from trying to figure out a good way to store them!) ;-)

9. Wow, I must be the simpleton in this group. I just store the 8 or 9 hammers I have in my tool box. It's a 52" box. They are laid out with heads opposite each in a other in a row and no issue finding them or accessing them when I need them. 20 would probably take up the whole drawer though........