Thread: New toy - PM90

New toy - PM90

been a linear wood worker for decades, just picked up a new toy, 1982 PM90 to give rotary woodworking a spin. Local vocational school converting machinery to CNC. Paid 675.00, runs smooth as silk, think I got a good deal. Need to get a VHD to convert to single phase. Any recommendations on brand? Also, PM made a model 91 with 6" riser blocks, anyone have a line on where one could get them? last question(for this thread anyway), was looking at the Hurricane chuck HTC125 any comments on that one?

thanks in advance

90.jpg90 headstock.jpg

I've had good luck with the TECO JNEV series for a vfd. I doubt that you can find any Powermatic 91 riser blocks with the corresponding belt guard. I've made three sets of risers for Powermatic 90's but I kept them to three inches because the OEM banjo only has 15" of swing. Three inch risers give you 18" of swing which allows you room to position the banjo underneath your turning and any more will make the lathe top heavy and too tall for comfort. Two sets were made out of laminated particleboard faced with formica. The third set was made out of high density molecular plastic that I purchased from Alro Steel. I also filled in the gap in three lathes to make it easier to position the banjo where I wanted it. I made new belt guards out of MDF. Here's some links to some threads I wrote at OWWM.org.

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93949

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=...ding+some+beef
    Last edited by Roy Turbett; 03-23-2015 at 7:05 PM.

There have been reviews of Hurricane chucks here before. The reviews were positive on the chuck, performance was good.

Ahhh, the elusive PM91... Good luck on finding one, there's only 1 on vintagemachinery.org. Not common to say the least, I've never seen the risers or belt guard up for sale and I've been looking for 10+ years. Found a banjo a couple of years ago and paid more for it than my entire 90! It's still waiting for risers I guess I should resign myself to the fact that originals aren't going to show up and make some like Roy.

The JNEV is a decent sensorless vector drive for the money. it's what I put on mine and Ive been happy with it.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot....aspx?id=13825

Mike

Great pics, did you make the mobile base or was it a pre fab? Also where did you get the controls, thanks

My PM 90 is a 1966 vintage machine. It did not have a tailstock. I paid more for the tailstock than I did the rest of the lathe. I was tickled the banjo came with it. Most school machines don't have necessary accessories and for some reason most of them have been painted while in the school shop. You were lucky, it's all there and not painted.

Ron

congratulations, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Seligman View Post
    Great pics, did you make the mobile base or was it a pre fab? Also where did you get the controls, thanks
    The mobile base is shop built from 2" angle iron and the wheel mounts are 4X5" angle iron tabs.

The control station I built from parts from C3 Controls.

Mike