Thread: looking for Felder zero clearance inserts

looking for Felder zero clearance inserts

I'm trying to find a couple of zero clearance inserts for my Felder slider (Format Kappa 40). I probably can fabricate them if I need to, but my understanding is that at one point someone was fabricating them out of phenollic (maybe John Renzetti?). The Felder Owners Group appears to be dead and the new Felder forum is tiny, so I thought I'd turn here.

The Felder service guy told me that they don't manufacture them, so I'd need to find a 3rd party.

Anybody have leads/contact info?

Thanks much!
    John
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

I'm curious if something turns up too. They aren't that hard to make, but if there is a good source...

Interesting info on the owners group. I hated the format of it so much that I didn't participate. Wondered how long it would last.

One of my colleagues machined a batch for Minimax combo machines out of phenolic material, some years back. I recall his comments being to the effect that between the amount of wear the arboron put on his shaper cutters and the fact that it was such a niche market, he possibly lost money on the deal. I think most folks just make their own. Maybe not the answer you wanted to hear but there is not a whole lot of profit in accesories like this for the Euro machines. Best of luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Not sure if he's still doing them, but John Renzetti who is a member and an occasional poster here and the main man on the Yahoo FOG (Felder owner's Group) was making inserts. He doesn't post all that often on FOG, but does keep an eye on it. I'm not sure if he's still doing them, and he might or might not be set up for your saw - but he'd be well worth asking.

Thanks, guys. I tried messaging John via Facebook. Barring that, I'll just try to fabricate one. Not as easy as the insert for my old cabinet saw, but I wouldn't think it would take more than an hour or two.
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

The Felder Owners Group is not dead, I get maybe 40-50 posts a day via email. I bought inserts from John maybe 4 or 5 years ago and they were very well done. I'd like to order more to have a stock pile.

Hi Joe. FOG has actually had a major resurgence is recent months it's very active. It has its share of 'characters'...

I made a couple from solid wood for my Hammer. Broke the original one with a tiny scrap kickback, seems the bevel made a place for the scrap to catch between blade and insert. I made mine flat, and lowered the blade to install it and then just raised the blade with it running. So far it works better than the original one.