Thread: Waterlox Original

Waterlox Original

selling on Craigslist are unopened quarts of Waterlox original finish for $15 each.
    I was wondering what the shelf-life is for the product?
    Thanks Ed

Shelf life of Waterlox Original is quite a bit shorter than other clear finishes. You don't know you have a problem until you apply it and find it doesn't dry/cure properly.
    Howie.........

i cannot speak to the full strength Waterlox products, nor the new VOC compliant version of the Original Sealer Finish.

However, the Original Formula, Original Sealer Finish (confusing, I know) will gel and gum up in the can if it is past usability. It has been my experience that if it decants clear and there is no evidence of jelly in the container, it's usable.

I have only used the old formula Original non-VOC compliant product. Waterlox says unopened original has an indefinite shelf life. The key, of course, is unopened. I have personally used previously unopened cans that were over 3 years old without issue. Once it is opened, it is a crap shoot. Products like Bloxygen only slow the march to jello. They do not completely stop it (at least in my experience).

The marine version is sometimes more available in VOC restricted areas - at a better price.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Shelf life of Waterlox Original is quite a bit shorter than other clear finishes. You don't know you have a problem until you apply it and find it doesn't dry/cure properly.
    I have decanted Original Waterlox into completely filled glass jars with good sealing lids and have used it successfully after two or three years BUT only on shop cabinets and the like (Why waste expensive finish?). If I am going to spend lots of hours building a fine piece of furniture, I am not going to risk using outdated finish that may cause problems just to save a couple of bucks. Same goes for glue - I date stuff so I don't have problems later.
    Regards,
    Dick

Thank all of you for the time you took to answer and the experience you have had

Ed