Thread: A couple questions for any Bayou residents here...

A couple questions for any Bayou residents here...

I just got back from a short trip to the Mississipppi Coast and have a couple questions....

1) On I10 going to the NO airport there were several cars on the shoulder up on cinder blocks. What is that about? A joke? Artwork? Or just what it looks like; cars that broke down and were stripped?

2) I rented a kayak and got lost on Bernard Bayou in Gulfport. (laugh all you want, but I was lost) A fisherman towed us back, which was wonderful, as I doubt we could have paddled back before nightfall. He had lived there his whole life and had an accent I could barely understand. If we had any money (which we didn't...) would it have been proper to have offered him gas money? Around here it would have been, but in some places it would have been insulting to offer. What about in Gulfport?

Wade, hopefully you enjoyed your short stay on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The cars on the side of the road are exactly what you imagined (abandoned).
    How you got lost on Bernard Bayou (It ain't that big) is beyond me. The accent could be from anywhere because this isn't south Louisiana, now that is an accent eh sha?
    Most of the people on the coast are very friendly and accommodating so they wont expect any money in return for their services.
    If you come back to the coast please look up Bayou Wood turners and see if they have a meeting you could attend

Quote Originally Posted by John Olier View Post
    How you got lost on Bernard Bayou (It ain't that big) is beyond me.
    The tandem "kayak" was 12' long. It was like paddling a rowboat.
    The guy in the store recommended we go around an island, about 1.5 miles roundtrip.
    After about 3 miles (perhaps 4 miles the way I was zigzagging) I concluded I was in the wrong place and turned around. A half mile later our salvation showed up. So technically we weren't lost, we just had to paddle 2.5 miles back, but neither did we know where we were.

Except for the dreadful drinking water, it was a good trip. Just never seen abandoned cars on an interstate before.

4. More than like broke down and got stripped.

I can not imagine going anywhere without cash in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    I can not imagine going anywhere without cash in my pocket.
    I kayak 5 miles almost every day and never have money. Except for compensating a rescuer, which has never been a consideration until Friday, I am not sure what use money would be on the water.
    I wish I had taken a phone for the GPS so I could have discovered my error before it got serious, but money?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I kayak 5 miles almost every day and never have money. Except for compensating a rescuer, which has never been a consideration until Friday, I am not sure what use money would be on the water.
    I wish I had taken a phone for the GPS so I could have discovered my error before it got serious, but money?
    Obviously, a phone would have been a good idea. Do you leave your wallet/money in your vehicle where it's a prime target for thieves?