Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Close-Up and Personal Look at the NEW Lie-Nielsen Stainless Steel Honing Guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    ...and I see you have "directory browsing" turned off at "http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/"

You didn't expect me to NOT check, did you?!

I see that your *tech* department is doing GOOD work also. I've HEARD about that kind of thing. :-)

I guess it should come as no surprise. That's is consistent with what I've seen in the past. I remember the Lee Valley E-Commerce site was WAY ahead of its time back in the early 2000's. Furthermore, LV seems to be one of a small handfull of companies that knows how silly it is to "clear" shopping carts "periodically", say monthly, yearly etc. (a kind of e-housekeeping, as if there's a shortage of 'bits'). Consequently, I once bought something I'd added to my cart from *years* earlier (I'd forgotten the tool even existed). Kudos!
    Last edited by Karl Fife; 03-24-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Fife View Post
    ...and I see you have "directory browsing" turned off at "http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/"

You didn't expect me to NOT check, did you?!

I see that your *tech* department is doing GOOD work also. I've HEARD about that kind of thing. :-)

I guess it should come as no surprise. That's is consistent with what I've seen in the past. I remember the Lee Valley E-Commerce site was WAY ahead of its time back in the early 2000's. Furthermore, LV seems to be one of a small handfull of companies that knows how silly it is to "clear" shopping carts "periodically", say monthly, yearly etc. (a kind of e-housekeeping, as if there's a shortage of 'bits'). Consequently, I once bought something I'd added to my cart from *years* earlier (I'd forgotten the tool even existed). Kudos!
    Hi Karl -

Thanks for the kind comments - our IT work is all done in-house. We do have to do some web site updating, and will be rolling modest changes out starting in a month or two. Our system architecture is challenged by our current product line, making navigation a wee bit difficult right now. Lots of good stuff in the works though.

Not only do I expect directory browsing - I also expect people to try variants of file names.... so sometimes I deliberately create a name that suggests it is part of a sequence... like "HG_003" .... . Others like HG2009 might suggest using HG2015 (only one of those works).

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Fife View Post
    I thought that's standard IT practice. No? The IT security training I received mandates that public access to corporate data be specific and "dead-ended."

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I thought that's standard IT practice. No? The IT security training I received mandates that public access to corporate data be specific and "dead-ended."

Simon
    Yes - unless you *want* it to be otherwise.....

We are Level 1 PCI compliant, and have regular security audits, and penetration testing. Additionally - we use tokenization to ensure personal payment information stays secure (if ya don't keep it, ya can't lose it!), as well as regular encryption key changes.

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    Is it just me (on the outside) who knows what this is?

In just eight short days we are going to see a blade sharpening holder for blades up to 12" wide. It will be expandable for even wider planer blades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Is it just me (on the outside) who knows what this is?

In just eight short days we are going to see a blade sharpening holder for blades up to 12" wide. It will be expandable for even wider planer blades.

jtk
    Hi Jim -

Ummmm.... like this one? http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...?p=56737&cat=1

Nope - we don't repeat those....

The shot I posted is of something in production...

Cheers,

Rob

The shot I posted is of something in production...
    "And will be available ____________..."
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    April 1.

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Hi Karl -
    Thanks for the kind comments - our IT work is all done in-house. We do have to do some web site updating, and will be rolling modest changes out starting in a month or two. Our system architecture is challenged by our current product line, making navigation a wee bit difficult right now. Lots of good stuff in the works though.
    Rob,
    As an in-house systems architect for our family of companies, I can relate to the challenge. It's difficult to create systems that are durable (i.e. systems with no intractable dependency on platforms that become EOL), yet make those systems agile to accommodate future needs and paradigm shifts.

I always say, it's *easy* to make strategic IT decisions. Development platforms and consultants are plentiful. HOWEVER, in reality, it's extremely difficult to make GOOD, LONG-TERM, strategic IT decisions. The landscape evolves very quickly, vetting new concepts is difficult and the cost of mediocre decisions are deceptively high. In my opinion, very few people have the perspective to be able to tell the difference between them.

May we all be tolerant of any hiccups that may occur in your evolution!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Karl Fife; 03-24-2015 at 4:27 PM.

Hi Karl -

I do a lot of system specification - wrote our first POS system in C many many years ago. While I don't do programming anymore - I still do a lot of conceptualization and specification.

Can still make the i-Series (or whatever the heck it's called this week) sit up and beg when I want it to though....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Hi Harold -

Even a wood worker who's had a tablesaw oops could count the weeks on their remaining fingers.....

And that's as far I can go...

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    Well there's an idea Rob- you could apply "blade retracting" technology to the honing jig. Lord knows, I have cut myself more than a few times while using your honing jig. I would sue you, but then you'd just get whatever I won right back with my first order, so it's futile. By the way, I just found out that you're getting a quarterly bonus (by way of ME spending MY quarterly bonus) in April. Please enjoy it, and if the wife happens to ask, we didn't get a quarterly bonus, okay? Work with me. This is a partnership.

Hi Harold -

Even a wood worker who's had a tablesaw oops could count the weeks on their remaining fingers.....

And that's as far I can go...

Cheers -

Rob
    Rob,

You are having too much fun.....

Thanks for the tease, even though 90% of my sharpening is without jigs there are times a functional jig could help. I will be looking for the announcement, hope it will take care of the 10%.

ken

Yes - unless you *want* it to be otherwise.....

We are Level 1 PCI compliant, and have regular security audits, and penetration testing. Additionally - we use tokenization to ensure personal payment information stays secure (if ya don't keep it, ya can't lose it!), as well as regular encryption key changes.

Cheers -

Rob
    Thanx. That's reassuring and we always have no fear buying online from LV. Since the new jig is now in production, it couldn't be the April Fools' Day release which I suppose must have already been built. Too bad we don't know how the new toy works until after the Bonus Event.

Simon

In a town named for a refrigerator?