Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the doghouse...

In the doghouse...

Our local woodworking club (North Texas Woodworkers) was contacted by a large company here that wants to do a 1-day charity event (9AM-5PM) building 50 doghouses for local shelters. They've asked us to help them come up with a design, and then have our members lead/coach/teach various teams as they build/paint the houses.

I've been in the doghouse any number of times. Just ask my wife. But I've never made one.

My thought is to have skilled people cut all the parts, then allow the corporate teams to nail/screw/glue/paint.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

1) Is that fabrication strategy a good one?
    2) Anyone got a good, easily reproducible design for a doghouse? It probably needs to be Saturday-morning-Home-Depot-craft-project simple. These people are software engineers.
    3) What materials should be used? The company is paying for all materials, and they make the processors for your computer, so cost shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks much!
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

I'm in the dog house right now and don't even know why

Based on my experience with Habitat for Humanity, the rate of progress you will achieve is inversely proportional to the number of inexperienced volunteers you will have. You will have to work with them anyway and that isn't necessarily a bad thing but you must count on much slower progress than if the club just did all the work.

For safety sake, you should probably not let the volunteers do any material cutting because of the risks and liability involved.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 03-24-2015 at 5:58 PM.

As for plans, I just googled "free dog house plans" and got the link below. I didn't review the designs carefully but it looks like there are a few pretty good possibilities. There were many other hits that I didn't follow.

http://freebies.about.com/od/free-pl...ouse-plans.htm

Since the units will be put in use at dog shelters, they are likely to be used harder than in a home environment and therefore, you need to pick the most sturdy plan you can that is also easy to build.

Let us know what happened. This sounds like an interesting and possibly inspirational story.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 03-24-2015 at 6:07 PM.

One item of advice:

Create a couple sample sets, and conduct a trial run with inexpierenced friends/neighbors.

Run through it one time, see where the hang-ups are in terms of assembly sequence/methods, perhaps need for pre-drilling or some sub-assembly, run it again with a different set of guinea pigs.

Don't know what your "labor budget" is in terms of # people per build team, and time allowed for build [to get it assembled before it is painted].

Gotta do some dry runs to learn what to do. Ideally, your 2 dry-run teams would come from volunteers for the actual event, so you have a small group of trained coaches available to give instructions.

You want to get the product done, but at the same time you want it to be an enjoyable experience for the participants - they need to walk away feeling proud of what they did.........

Not the point, but..........you could end up with a "saleable" product, complete with ass'y instructions.............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

No opinion on the design but PT lumber pops into my head as a possible material choice and if they plan to paint the houses, it will probably be super-wet as delivered. Cedar would be my other thought but they would probably want it with a planed surface.

Curious to hear what develops.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Maybe do a video of one being assembled as a reference.

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    No opinion on the design but PT lumber pops into my head as a possible material choice and if they plan to paint the houses, it will probably be super-wet as delivered. Cedar would be my other thought but they would probably want it with a planed surface.

Curious to hear what develops.

Erik
    I would avoid PT lumber as the dog will be in contact with it and may chew it...................Rod.

If you design around ready materials it may be faster. 50 seems like a lot for a day. You could use cedar deck boards and shiplap them for the sides. Cedar shakes for the roof? Not sure about dog and weather friendly finish but maybe an oil of some sort. It would need to be fast and easy.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by John Loftis View Post
    [...] These people are software engineers.
    So they'll analyze the project until 4:45, then bang out the 50 doghouses in the last 15 minutes.

(Disclaimer: I am a software engineer )

Regarding design, I'd contact some of the shelters and see what they have/want/need and get an idea of what size will work. Would be a shame to have 50 doghouses that dont work well for the shelter.

They might have 100 or more volunteers, so as long as there aren't huge bottlenecks waiting on materials, it could be doable.

Good thought on avoiding PT lumber, Rod. I wouldn't have thought about that.

I think the biggest challenge will be the roof. Shingles? Maybe a dedicated shingler who knows what he is doing...

John
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

Pressure treated would still be good for the substructure that sits on or near the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    So they'll analyze the project until 4:45, then bang out the 50 doghouses in the last 15 minutes.

(Disclaimer: I am a software engineer )
    EXACTLY. I would substitute 'goof off' for 'analyze the project' but we're just talking semantics.

(Disclaimer: I am the father of a software engineer )

All that aside, put together an iron clad plan and procedure. Leave NO room for discussion. NONE!

Quote Originally Posted by John Loftis View Post
    Shingles? Maybe a dedicated shingler who knows what he is doing...

John
    Shingles will definitely make a dog house last longer. Everyone should have a dedicated job. After a few dog houses, they will get good at their job and enjoy it more. The goal is to bang these out and after a few, the volunteers will take pride in their job and new found skill. An assembly line would be cool if you could pull it off. Each team of 4-5 people builds a component- a front, a back, side walls, 2 roof pieces, an assembly team, and a roofing team. They don't have to be beautiful, the dog won't notice. It's focus will be on shelter from wind and rain.

At the least, attach a perimeter of PT 2x4's to the bottom as a sill to protect against rot. A dog house with a PT sill and asphalt shingles will last a very long time. Everything else can be pine. Or T-111 which would be more expensive but way easier. For the shingles just cut a 5" wide board the length of the roof and line up the bottom with the last row of shingles and use it as a stop for the next row. Assign the least skilled person the job of holding that board in place.

So are these software engineers going to be using power tools???