Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet JCS-10 aftermarket riving knife / blade guard

Jet JCS-10 aftermarket riving knife / blade guard

I just bought a "new" 20 year old Jet JCS-10 PFX table saw, and unfortunately the former owner didn't have any of the safety equipment.

Does anyone have any advice on a good aftermarket riving knife preferably, or splitter, with a blade guard?

I looked at the bolt on ripping knife but a lot of the reviews I read were older and pretty mediocre and as much as I love the idea I still have some anxiety about it as a finished product.

I reached out to Biesemeyer (nothing available for my saw), Jet (they suggested I contact Rockford Solutions who hasn't offered Anything for this saw in 18 months), and a few online parts companies (who replied that they couldn't get a replacement).

I also looked at the Delta Uniguard, which looks nice but is very expensive.

As someone who's almost lost a finger to his saw, I refuse to use it without anything installed, so I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Leeway (Sharkguard) have a few jet designs on their website, while not for your specific saw they do provide a couple templates (pdf files) you could test fit to your saw
    http://thesharkguard.com/pdf/bothjtas.pdf
    http://thesharkguard.com/pdf/jps1.pdf

I believe Bob Ross did a redesign of his "B O R K"(bolt on riving knife) to address the shortcomings. I use a cut-down Delta splitter but kind of like the design of the b o r k. The guard looks like it might be narrow enough to be usable for narrower rips.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I believe Bob Ross did a redesign of his "B O R K"(bolt on riving knife) to address the shortcomings. I use a cut-down Delta splitter but kind of like the design of the b o r k. The guard looks like it might be narrow enough to be usable for narrower rips.
    I've had a B OR K on my Shop Fox W1677 since 2008. Bob has made several nice improvements to it over the past few years. Not sure if it'll fit your Jet, but it's worth asking about.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I applaud your efforts to bring your saw up to the safety standards it had when sold before using it. In nearly every shop I go into, as well as most woodworking publications, there is never a guard installed on the TS, nor rarely a splitter or riving knife. Those two omissions probably account for most all TS related injuries, and SawStop might never had been developed had people just used the safety equipment that had been provided with their TS.

When I got my 1954 Unisaw of course their was no splitter or guard with it. I made my own splitters (different sizes for different applications) and adapted a left over Sears blade guard with vacuum pickup to it, using an overhead mount. Cost almost nothing and works very well. If you are unhappy with the commercial solutions you might consider making your own to suite your needs.

IMG_6949.JPG

John

Let us know what you find, please. I have a 10 yr old Jet and use the Microjig spliter with an Excalibur overarm guard, but would prefer a riving knife if there was something that would fit.

I imagine it is very similar to the standard guard that came with a Unisaw of the same vintage, which was junk. I went with a shark guard, and it is on my Uni all the time except when I have to rip pieces too narrow to keep the guard on, or using a dado blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Miller View Post
    Leeway (Sharkguard) have a few jet designs on their website, while not for your specific saw they do provide a couple templates (pdf files) you could test fit to your saw
    http://thesharkguard.com/pdf/bothjtas.pdf
    http://thesharkguard.com/pdf/jps1.pdf

I just heard back from Leeway, and unfortunately he can't make anything for this model. He didn't specify why, but after reading his site it seems as if my saw is missing anything in the rear of the throat to fasten the Sharkguard to.

Thanks, though.

How do you like your B O R K? I have to admit I really prefer a riving knife over a splitter. I'm just a little leery attaching safety equipment by cranking down on hose clamps.

I got lucky with my (so far) only brush with a blade. I was making coved panels on my saw and did something stupid and the blade caught my finger rolling it towards me. Luckily the saw cut around my finger instead of through it. I call that a free lesson...didn't cost me a finger.

I'm comfortable modifying an existing design that's close, but I'd prefer a commerically available solution because I'd rather have someone else work out the bugs on a safety system for a dangerous tool. I just know that whatever I come up with won't be elegant, or necessarily safer than nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    Let us know what you find, please. I have a 10 yr old Jet and use the Microjig spliter with an Excalibur overarm guard, but would prefer a riving knife if there was something that would fit.
    I'm not finding much, unfortunately. A lot of dead ends (Jet, Biesemeyer, old repair parts websites, Delta, Sharkguard). I did hear from Bob Ross who makes the B O R K, and I might end up trying one. I just can't seem to find a lot of testimonials online, particularly recently.

I like it a lot. Once you get it installed and dialed in, it works great. I hear you about the hose clamp, but it's effective....the end result of having a riving knife on an old saw is well worth it. You could also use a u-clamp instead, but the hose clamp is easier to install. My review
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-19-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks, Mike. I had looked at what was available when I got the saw, and really couldn't find anything. So far the Microjig splitter has worked well, though I'm pretty meticulous about featherboards, push blocks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    I like it a lot. Once you get it installed and dialed in, it works great. I hear you about the hose clamp, but it's effective....the end result of having a riving knife on an old saw is well worth it. You could also use a u-clamp instead, but the hose clamp is easier to install. My review

Thanks, Scott! Yours was one of the reviews I read before hand. I find it odd that more people don't have much to say about the B O R K, either positive or negative. It seems like the perfect niche product.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Field View Post
    Thanks, Scott! Yours was one of the reviews I read before hand. I find it odd that more people don't have much to say about the B O R K, either positive or negative. It seems like the perfect niche product.
    There aren't a lot of them out there. AFAIK, he makes them all by hand, so it's a small number. It's also a retrofit that mounts to existing older saws, and it's not quite the same as a proprietary design that offers a riving knife designed from the ground up....I think some people have unrealistic expectations for it to compete with the designs from a new saw.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-20-2015 at 10:45 PM.