Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are the best contractor / hybrid saws in the $500 - $1K range?

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post
    I second this recommendation. $300 isn't that much more than you were wanting to spend and when you consider that this is the most used tool in the shop it's money well spent.

The Sawstop is far better made than anything Grizzly or Delta offers in this range.

My local Woodcraft keeps SawStop in stock, they come in 6 boxes with the heaviest being about 150 lbs. You could have it assembled and start using it within 2 hours!
    I'll add a big +1 to this post, it's a heckuva saw. If you can buy it without a fence for $1300 you'll be glad you did. I researched for a month before deciding on the Sawstop and I've not been disappointed. I bought mine a couple years ago with the standard fence(that hasn't seen the light of day since I have an Incra fence) and the optional cast-iron wings. It went together smoothly(best instructions and hardware packaging in the business), didn't have to adjust the trunnion to parallel the blade with the miter slot or the 45/90 stops and it rips 8/4 hard maple with no problem. The dust collection beats any saw I've ever run, add in the DC blade guard and it's a real winner. The only thing I don't like about the saw is that the riving knife is a beast to adjust.

Save a few more quarters and you'll be glad you did. I imagine resale value is high, I've never seen one on Craigslist or even on a forum to get an idea.

HTH,
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Graham; 04-23-2015 at 8:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
    I'll add a big +1 to this post, it's a heckuva saw. If you can buy it without a fence for $1300 you'll be glad you did. I researched for a month before deciding on the Sawstop and I've not been disappointed. I bought mine a couple years ago with the standard fence(that hasn't seen the light of day since I have an Incra fence) and the optional cast-iron wings. It went together smoothly(best instructions and hardware packaging in the business), didn't have to adjust the trunnion to parallel the blade with the miter slot or the 45/90 stops and it rips 8/4 hard maple with no problem. The dust collection beats any saw I've ever run, add in the DC blade guard and it's a real winner. The only thing I don't like about the saw is that the riving knife is a beast to adjust.

Save a few more quarters and you'll be glad you did. I imagine resale value is high, I've never seen one on Craigslist or even on a forum to get an idea.

HTH,
    Bill
    I don't know that you can buy any of the Saw Stop saws without a fence. The basic stock fence adds $0, and that's the lowest price option I see....$1600 for the contractor saw with steel wings and no mobile base. Someone please clarify if you can.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

One option you might consider is to check out the Craftsman 22116- it's made by the same mfr as makes (made?) Steel City saws, with granite top, Biesemeyer type fence, and cabinet mounted trunnions. It has a 1-3/4 hp motor, so if you need a lot of power, may not suit you. There appears to be one through Sears Outlet at the Charleston WV Sears store, for $660. For the money, I think it's a great value. BTW, if you go to the store directly (rather than through searsoutlet.com), you might be able to negotiate the price down by talking to someone in person.

I just recently purchased a new Grizzly 0771 to replace my old Craftsman 113. I am very pleased with the new Grizzly. It was a snap to put together and after some minor adjustments with the fence and miter it cuts great. The blade that comes with it isn't the best but is serviceable for rough cuts.
    BTW, I live in the boonies and there is no way I could get home delivery, I did the same thing I did when I purchased my new lathe and picked it up at the freight terminal. They loaded it into my pickup with a fork lift.

After some consideration, and all the advice from you guys, it really seems like the Griz is the saw for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Saul View Post
    After some consideration, and all the advice from you guys, it really seems like the Griz is the saw for me.
    It is! Pull the trigger lol! Seriously, I took delivery a few weeks ago and don't regret it one bit. $800 is a big purchase for me, but I would do it again tomorrow. If you can drive rount trip one day to pick it up and that's what makes you comfortable then do that. I was impressed with the delivery as many other members have said, but go with what makes you feel good. Last point, comparing it to the Delta at Lowe's, there is no contest. Much better fit and finish, and the cast iron table blows the Delta away. The Delta table top appears flimsy in comparison.

He like me is a West Virginian, basically means to go any where you have to drive hours so I doubt that is a problem. I was just at the woodcraft in Lexington, Ky today I was quite impressed with the sawstop job site saw build wise, the price was not great though. There are local dealers who might be able to order the grizzly saw for you. I can give you a number for a local guy I use if you like.

Check with Grizzly to see what the price of the saw would be without the fence and rails. Or maybe they would give you lift-gate shipping in exchange for not ordering the fence assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    I don't know that you can buy any of the Saw Stop saws without a fence. The basic stock fence adds $0, and that's the lowest price option I see....$1600 for the contractor saw with steel wings and no mobile base. Someone please clarify if you can.
    You can get the PCS w/o a fence, although SawStop corp will grouse at your retailer. The saw is one part #, the fence system is another part #. Whether or not your retailer will do it is a separate question. The ICS and Contractor's are the same. I expect that the Jobsite saw can not be purchased w/o a fence though.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    You can get the PCS w/o a fence, although SawStop corp will grouse at your retailer. The saw is one part #, the fence system is another part #. Whether or not your retailer will do it is a separate question. The ICS and Contractor's are the same. I expect that the Jobsite saw can not be purchased w/o a fence though.
    Thanks for the detailed info John.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Grizzly will not sell me the 0771 without a fence, but that's fine. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but when I do, I am inclined to plan on putting the Delta T3 I have sitting in my basement on it, for the simple reason that I don't have anything else to do with it, other than to try to sell it for much less than I paid for it.

The Saw Stop saws look great, even beyond their proprietary safety feature that commands the premium, but the most inexpensive piece in their line is twice what I was originally looking to spend, and substantially outside my budget. Seriously, it really doesn't look like there's anything else for the money that touches the G0771. 2hp motor, included cast iron wings, cabinet mounted trunnions. If I'm wrong, let me know!

Josh I mentioned the Delta based on what you had asked for in pricing, but I think you will do fine with Grizzly. Their follow up service is good. And the 0771 is on sale right now! Good luck.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Hart; 04-28-2015 at 8:26 PM. Reason: added a word

So, the Grizzly G0771 arrived today - thanks for all of your advice and encouragement to not settle on something less because of the shipping. It came via UPS Freight. There was no damage at all to the box, and the driver helped me wheel it up my driveway, which was no simple task. I did have the presence of mind the night before the delivery was scheduled to run to the neighborhood U-Haul to rent an appliance dolly. THAT saved the day. I haven't been able to do much in the way of setup & assembly today, but the fit & finish on this saw looks very nice, especially for the money. It seriously looks and feels like a saw that costs twice as much as the new Deltas they're stocking at Lowes.

I do have a question though - the saw is bolted down to the pallet for stability, which is nice, but it's not obvious to me how to remove the bolts, and there's no mention of it in the manual (which, I might add, is all in English). Any tips for unbolting the saw?

I do have a question though - the saw is bolted down to the pallet for stability, which is nice, but it's not obvious to me how to remove the bolts, and there's no mention of it in the manual (which, I might add, is all in English). Any tips for unbolting the saw?
    Congrats on the new saw! I'm not sure if your saw is bolted down the same way my Grizz jointer and planer were. My planer was secured to the pallet with angle brackets. Had to hold the nut under the pallet with a crescent wrench while turning the bolt with a ratchet.

5. Portability. This is last for a reason. I don't need to be able to move it across town, but I do need to be able to move it across my shop.
    I doubt this is a big issue with any saw you are likely to get, there are easy to make wooden mobile bases that lift the saw when you need to move it, and then it stands on its own legs the rest of the time. I move my 600lbs saw around the room like this.