Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiring 110 and 220 in same box

Wiring 110 and 220 in same box

any of you guys do this. I'm going to add a few 220v outlets on 3 different circuits in the coming weeks and this is my plan.

- get the single to double gang extension rings so I can surface mount the new boxes. run all my 220v through conduit and then install the 110v and 220v outlets in the same box. I'll be adding a few more 110v outlets as well so I'll but pulling 110 and 220 from the breaker panel (separate pulls, same conduit) as well.

basic idea is to have (for example) 220v outlet on the left of box and 110v outlet on the right of the box.

anyone else do this?

thanks,

Brian

Or you can go with a combo duplex receptacle such as the Leviton 5842.

LEVMFCE10739_WB_1_PE_001.jpg

This idea was discussed in detail in a previous thread. Do some searching and you should find it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I haven't done it, but I have designed some layouts doing that. You can run a single 12/3 with ground to accomplish what you want. Black and Red are hot, white is common and bare is ground. (I typically use 10 awg for my 220 circuits though, and a deep box, or a quad box with a single round receptacle for 220.

Matt, I wasn't aware you could get a combo 5-20R / 6-20R in that config. Cool.

Just one word of caution. There are limits to how many and what gauge wire you pull through a specific size of conduit. It doesn't have anything to do with how many will physically fit. It has to do with heat dissipation. A fairly recent edition of the National Electrical Code (online for free) will tell you what is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Marsh View Post

I have 3 - 4 of these installed.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thanks guys.

Yes I'm going to run 3/4" conduit so I'll be fine. Wasn't aware of the combo duplex either.

Also I did search, didn't see anything....thing about the search tool is it is highly dependent on the words you use.

Thanks again everyone.

Brian

one other question for those running the dual voltage outlets...are you using them in an unfinished space (like a garage) i'm required to have gfci in my shop because it's a garage. searching now to see if they have gfci versions.

Keep in mind you can't run NM cable in conduit except over short distances for physical protection, its not rated for that. So you shouldn't use 12/3 cable, instead you should pull individual conductors in conduit.

To my knowledge, GFCI is not required for 240V outlets.

I think that pic is upside down.

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Roger,

I don't think 220v needs gfci either but my 110v does. How would I handle that if i were to use these?

Separate circuit for top and bottom I guess?

Also I'm aware of the limitations for running wire in conduit (at least this one haha) and planed to run individual wires not the 3 wire pre wrapped stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D Smith View Post
    Roger,

I don't think 220v needs gfci either but my 110v does. How would I handle that if i were to use these?

Separate circuit for top and bottom I guess?

Also I'm aware of the limitations for running wire in conduit (at least this one haha) and planed to run individual wires not the 3 wire pre wrapped stuff.
    You'd pretty much have to pull separate 120V and 240V circuits to get the GFCI on the 120V circuits.

But additionally, you probably should think about how you want to wire your 240V circuits. Many tools that require 240V will pull 12 -15 amps. Unless you use very large wire, you'd probably need to have separate wire runs to the different 240V outlets if you ever plan to run more than one tool at a time.

I use a separate circuit for each 240V outlet in my shop for that reason. Almost all of my 240V circuits are wired with 12 gauge wire and use 20 amp breakers. I have one 30 amp circuit wired with 10 gauge wire.

The 120V outlets are wired with 12 gauge, and 20 amp breakers, and there are multiple outlets on each circuit. At the head of each 120V multidrop circuit I have a GFCI that serves all the outlets downstream on that circuit.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You could separate the circuits, or you could feed everything with a 2-pole 120/240 volt GFCI breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    You'd pretty much have to pull separate 120V and 240V circuits to get the GFCI on the 120V circuits.

But additionally, you probably should think about how you want to wire your 240V circuits. Many tools that require 240V will pull 12 -15 amps. Unless you use very large wire, you'd probably need to have separate wire runs to the different 240V outlets if you ever plan to run more than one tool at a time.

I use a separate circuit for each 240V outlet in my shop for that reason. Almost all of my 240V circuits are wired with 12 gauge wire and use 20 amp breakers. I have one 30 amp circuit wired with 10 gauge wire.

The 120V outlets are wired with 12 gauge, and 20 amp breakers, and there are multiple outlets on each circuit. At the head of each 120V multidrop circuit I have a GFCI that serves all the outlets downstream on that circuit.

Mike
    thanks Mike that is what I figured, separate runs for both. I will only have to pull 120v from the panel for one outlet as I want to add one more standalone circuit. other then that I have quite a few 120v circuit already in place (wiring in walls) so I will just be pulling the 220v wiring to those areas via conduit.

I plan to install 20 amp 220v circuits for my tools...all on one circuit as this is my own personal shop and I will not be running more then 1 tool at a time because I'm the only one working in it.

separately though I'm planning a dedicated 220v circuit for my DC as well as another dedicated circuit run to the ceiling (haven't decided location yet) for a heater in the future. I also have a 110v 15 amp circuit for the garage door and ceiling lights, and I'll be adding another 110v 15amp in the ceiling near the center of the space for my air filtration.

I was just focusing on the "tool" outlets/circuits here because those are the ones that will be sharing physical space.

I have GFCI outlets in place at the start of each 120V circuit already (I have 3 dedicated circuits for 6 outlet locations), so I should be good there

sounds like I can use those dual voltage outlets and have 1x220v and 3x110v outlet at each location all in a 4 square surface mount box??

that would be fantastic!!

You could separate the circuits, or you could feed everything with a 2-pole 120/240 volt GFCI breaker.
    THis is what I would look into..........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.