Thread: mesquite source

mesquite source

Texas wood source.

I’m in TX and would like to take advantage of the visit and buy some small pieces of mesquite and maybe other local woods not available in WV where I live.

I’m in the Rockport area now. Traveling by car with my wife so not lots of room. I’m a novice turner so will probably hang on to whatever I get for awhile till my skills improve. I do flat work but won’t have room for much in the way of boards.

I’d appreciate any suggestions for woods in addition to the mesquite, and sources, especially in the Rockport - Corpus Christi area.

Also, should I be looking for green, air-dried or kiln dried? Is there much point in getting green if I won’t be turning it for months or years?

Thanks for your help. Post here or PM me if you would rather.

Just do a google search for something like "Texas Mesquite wood suppliers" . You should get a lot. My last trip to TX about a year ago I had a list of 10 or so and found some good wood from a guy N of Austin. Get dry or green. It cracks very little

Check with a local BBQ place that specializes in mesquite BBQ and beg a few chunks of firewood. Firewood supplier is also a god source.

There is a saw mill there in Rockport that can fix you up.

+1 on texaswoodcrafts. Got some excellent wood there several years ago. Lloyd's got wood all over the yard and in his garage. You'll be sure to find something you like. Also ask to see his turnings.
    Last edited by Bruce Pratt; 03-16-2015 at 8:45 PM. Reason: typo

On the drive back home if you want to take the road less traveled you're welcome to drop by my place for some walnut, box elder, mulberry, maple or spalted sycamore from my stash. Also have a good bit of local woods still on the stump - oak, hickory, cherry, elm and other southern hardwoods. If you give me a little notice I can cut your blanks to reduce space. I have more than I know what to do with and would enjoy meet a fellow creeker!

Wilcox Lumber in Rusk (E. Texas). 215 Loop 343 W ~ Rusk, TX 75785
    Phone: 903-683-1022 ~ Fax: 903-683-1035
    Cell: 903-520-4629

He has quite a bit of Mesquite.

Paul,

if you're in the Houston area Saturday morning, GCWA has our monthly meeting, from 9 AM - noon, at 1414 Wirt Road. Coffee and donuts. Visitors always welcomed! There's almost always someone who brings some wood, most of the time for the taking.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Thanks for the good ideas guys.

Wes, that is a very generous offer and I appreciate it but we won’t be headed your way.

Texas wood crafts looks good too but out of the way for me.

Andrew, I found 2 sawmills within a few miles of our motel so I’m good to go. Thanks for your suggestion.

I just need to see how much my wife is willing to carry on her lap for 3 days ;-)

Paul