Thread: Mathieson Drawer Bottom Plane WIP

Mathieson Drawer Bottom Plane WIP

Hello Everyone,

I'm building some Mathieson style Drawer bottom planes, and thought I'd show the progress and eventual results.

I am looking into antique irons in either 3/16" or 1/4" wide or I may have to make my own. I haven't decided if I'm using 1/8" brass or 3/16" steel for the skate yet. Material is beech. First the plan, then the progress.

B__6L2UU0AACKbT.png

B__65PVWwAAkwAx.jpg
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Will be very interested to see this build develop Trevor. Brass would look the best (IMO) but the steel would probably be more appropriate in terms of long term wear. But I guess brass would last quite some time.

I wouldn't go much further until you have an iron. All you need is an old plow iron, and it doesn't have to be an exact width--you can grind the cutting end to fit. I'd email Josh at hyperkitten.com--he will probably fix you up for 5-10 bucks per iron.

Is the fence adjustable? I have one that's adjustable, and the versatility is nice, unless you really want a single-purpose plane.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

I agree with you Tony, brass is just so nice to work that I'm really considering it. I may make two out of steel and do one out of brass and see how it holds up.

Steve, yes I've been in touch with Josh, I managed to get him to lend me the original plane to take a bunch of measurements from years ago. The fences are adjustable.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    I agree with you Tony, brass is just so nice to work that I'm really considering it. I may make two out of steel and do one out of brass and see how it holds up.

Steve, yes I've been in touch with Josh, I managed to get him to lend me the original plane to take a bunch of measurements from years ago. The fences are adjustable.
    Trevor, I would be most interested if you could provide the measurements for the original, either here or on your blog.

Regarding brass vs. steel, I have never seen a brass skate on any older plane, though that doesn't mean they don't exist. The main problem I foresee with brass is that the skate comes to almost a knife edge where it locks into the blade's groove, then it's wedged with considerable force. I think it would not take long for the brass edge to be damaged to the point that it would no longer work.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert