Thread: Fair Boxes

Fair Boxes

While at the County Fair, between turning tops for kids I made a few boxes. One is the end of a maple top blank the others from wet mahogany (one with a curly maple lid turned later). The pyrography was done at home except for the flowers. A local pyro artist did those at her booth while at the fair.
    DSC_2142.jpgDSC_2163.jpg turned wet from mahogany. 3 1/2" wide and 3" tall. The knot pattern on the side is from the Lidisfarne Bible plate 29. Finish is Krylon Satin Acrylic spray over sanding sealer. The blank was leaking water whle I hollowed it with my hook tool.

DSC_2145.jpgDSC_2159.JPGFrom Dry maple 'top blank'. Flower pyrography by Judith Suit, a local artist. Approximately 2" diameter x 2 1/4" tall. Finish is Krylon Satin acrylic spray.

DSC_2157.jpgSpalted mahogany with curly maple top. This blank was partly dry. About 3 3/4" diameter by 4 1/2" tall. Finish is just lacquer sanding sealer.

C&C welcome of course.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Those will catch the eye. How is the fit after drying? Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Nice boxes Thom. I have never even thought of trying to make a lidded box with wet wood for the very reason that all a referred to.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    Those will catch the eye. How is the fit after drying? Allan
    OK so far. On the Lindisfarne box I had to do just a touch of sanding but it has a snug (not vacuum) fit. The pith ran up the center, so both top and bottom have pith, but are turned fairly thin. Mahogany is a very stable wood, so I have hopes that it will hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Nice boxes Thom. I have never even thought of trying to make a lidded box with wet wood for the very reason that all a referred to.
    I was at the fair for 10 days and it is what I had access to. Mahogany is exceptionally stable. The lid on the 'apple' is loose and the other has enough sidewall thickness (1/4" wall 1/8" at mortice/tenon) to allow for some sanding to loosen the top if needed. Fingers crossed.

Great looking boxes Thom and very rewarding to interact with other artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    Great looking boxes Thom and very rewarding to interact with other artists.
    I agree. I bought my initial burning tools from her after she did a demo for our club a few years ago. She came by our booth after I had partly burned the knot on the bottom (I started it at home and brought the burner in to show the precess to another turner). I made an offhand comment that if I had her talent I would burn some flowers on the lid, so she took the lid and returned it about an hour later.

I intend to gift her a platter that she can burn and sell.