Thread: Need A Source For Knobs and Totes...

Need A Source For Knobs and Totes...

I'm looking for a good source for nice knobs and totes for a Bailey/Stanley plane. I'm new to planes and don't want to make errors buying a knob and tote that don't fit the plane. Are they all pretty much standard size? Actually, I've got a few old planes that need replacement wood and I'm not sure what to look for.

There is lots of stuff on the bay. Although, you will end up paying as much (or more) for a set as if you find a complete plane in the wild (garage sale, flea market, craigslist). There are also reproduction knobs and totes , of varying quality, that show up online often. You will save a bit of money if you are willing to repair cracked totes. It's easy if the crack is clean and has not been worn down or missing major pieces.

nhplaneparts is an ebay seller with all kinds of stripped out plane parts.

I've puchased from nhplane parts and Deycart tools on the bay too. Both had outstanding service and deliver just what I expected.

Contact Bill at Hardware City Tools. You can find him easily with a Google search.
    Last edited by Jim Falsetti; 03-10-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling fix

Blog Entries
    It used to be easy to find broken or incomplete planes for cheap on ebay. Sometimes what looked to be a train wreck turned out better than the plane for which it was being bought to supply parts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Highland Woodworking in Atlanta has what you're looking for.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Look up nicobie on ebay. He has been selling totes and knobs for years. He has them for all Stanley bench planes. Millers Falls too.

:

ebay item #: 311314230660
    Last edited by ken seale; 03-11-2015 at 1:14 PM.

+1
    Had replacements made for a #8, came out great

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Falsetti View Post
    Contact Bill at Hardware City Tools. You can find him easily with a Google search.

I just found Deycart tools on EBay the other day. I obtained some old Stanley planes recently and two of them have missing parts. I was able to buy what I needed for one of them in about 5 minutes.

There is a low knob and high knob. Some have a raised ring at the base, later planes are made with a raised ring cast into the plane. I do not have access to my book right now but I think there are three different kinds of knobs. There are 4 different kinds of totes I think; #1 size is very small, #2 is a little bigger, #3 and #4 are standard size with only one attachment hole for the post, and #5 through #8 have a little longer base with a hole for a screw at the toe of the tote. The actual shape of the tote changed some over time with the longer horn being earlier but I think they fit regardless.
    Last edited by Moses Yoder; 03-17-2015 at 7:56 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)