Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I may get shot for this --- garage sale find

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

I may get shot for this --- garage sale find

While driving home with the LOML, I saw a YARD SALE sign near home and said ' nah ' it was later afternoon.
    But, I did a U turn and went in.
    The fellow greeted me and I asked if he had any old tools or axe heads; he said there was a box over there that may have something.
    LO and behold, an old Mathieson infill was sitting there. Grabbed it, a weird Japanese tool ( another thread ) and a tack hammer.
    The straight sided smoother with Mathieson faintly stamped upside down in the rosewood bun has a 2-1/4" blade, 3/16" tapered , James Howarth Cast Steel, a Mathieson chip breaker, and a de laminated tote, but the first infill I have ever found in the wild.
    A Mr. Dewar owned this at one point; though a bit rusty and rough, I am pretty confident it can be revived.
    Any hints to getting the tote off for a refurb?
    The bun is perfect, the bed looks real good.
    BTW, ten bucks ( Canadian ) for all three. Sorry, but I suck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Sorry, but I suck!
    Let me be the first to say +1 on that.

Great find.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Dave,

Yep, you already said it.

Cool!

Stew

Cool find!

You suck!!!

I'll offer you $15 plus shipping if you want to make a quick 50 % return ; )

Wow, never heard of anyone finding an infill at a garage sale before, nice!

Excuse my ignorance, but why is this tool a big deal? Someone educates me please.

THAT,....is so majorly fanatastic!!!!! Hearty congrats on the "you suck"

Wow!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but why is this tool a big deal? Someone educates me please.
    It looks a little rough, I understand your suprise��

Infill smoother planes have near mythical status for hand tool guys. Some of the hype is even deserved, they can be great planes. They sell for many times more usually, and while this specimen is a little rough, it'll clean up very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    I can only say why I think it would be a big deal for me personally, Wakahisa. Its an infill, which are supposed to be rather exotic. New, such planes are expensive - I think the very cheapest Ive seen starts at $800 and they often range into the thousands. I cant justify buying one as a hobbyist. So finding an old one like this - from a well known maker - and for just a few dollars is sort of a treasure hunter's dream.

Edit: Steve, looks like you and I tried to respond at the same time. Sorry sir! I like "mythical" better than "exotic"
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-08-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Let us see it again after you have cleaned it up. The rust on the plane body looks to be superficial. I wonder if those planes came with a laminated handle, or if that may be a later replacement?
    What a find!

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I can only say why I think it would be a big deal for me personally, Wakahisa. Its an infill, which are supposed to be rather exotic. New, such planes are expensive - I think the very cheapest Ive seen starts at $800 and they often range into the thousands. I cant justify buying one as a hobbyist. So finding an old one like this - from a well known maker - and for just a few dollars is sort of a treasure hunter's dream.

Edit: Steve, looks like you and I tried to respond at the same time. Sorry sir! I like "mythical" better than "exotic"
    Lol, and I was liking the exotic!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Sorry sir! I like "mythical" better than "exotic"
    Yes, that does look at a lot more wife friendly on the credit card statement.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Nice find, David, congratulations!

There seems to be a dovel across at the end of the body. Perhaps it can be removed to separate iron and wooden parts and the tote?

Claus