Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band Saw Question

Band Saw Question

Just assembled a Lauguna 14/12 bandsaw. I'll provide a short review once my band saw blades arrive. I ordered 3 different widths from Timber Wolf. For re-sawing the person I talked to said that the most popular blade is a 3/4" x 4PC. Anyone have any experience with Timber Wolf's blades and/or with a 3/4" for re-sawing?

Used a lot of TW blades at the furniture plant. We resawed reclaimed beams and decking from heart pine. That stuff is tough on blades. Did not have any carbide for fear of hitting any missed nails, but the TWs did as well as any other blade we tried.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I am sure you will like your 14 Twelve. Can take some adjustment to get them properly set up. But once there operation is smooth and the cuts are very good for a 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Used a lot of TW blades at the furniture plant. We resawed reclaimed beams and decking from heart pine. That stuff is tough on blades. Did not have any carbide for fear of hitting any missed nails, but the TWs did as well as any other blade we tried.
    Bill
    I have a friend in Homestead, FL he does a ton of processing specializing Cuban mahogany. He's swears by this brand.

Quote Originally Posted by James Nugnes View Post
    I am sure you will like your 14 Twelve. Can take some adjustment to get them properly set up. But once there operation is smooth and the cuts are very good for a 14.
    It sure is a jump up from my Delta 14. Woodcraft was running a one day sale at $987. I bought the mobility kit and light while I was at it. Can't say much for their manual. The picts are horrible. Took me a while to install the mobility kit. The rear wheels had me stumped for a bit.

Correct on the manual. I could have written a proper manual by the time I was done adjusting things.

The front wheel on the mobility kit is what had me scratching my head for awhile cause I could not get it to fully leave the floor when the saw was in the operating position. I have other mobility kits and this is the first one with enough play in the mechanism so that it simply will not leave the floor. It is not taking any of the weight apparently but it won't leave the floor. Called Laguna and the saw they keep in Tech Support does the same thing. So "its all good" I guess. That is a heck of a lot of slop in the mechanism though. Its not the position of the bolts for the bracket or the bolts in the mechanism either. I can see how much slop there is in there when I actuate the mechanism. I am OK with it...."sort of" but a simple comment either in their manual or their instructional video would save a ton of time for people who have mobility kits and are a bit stumped by this one.

What I found is that the components used are really pretty darned good for a $1,000 band saw. The factory assembly leaves something to be desired which is why I ended up adjusting so many elements of the saw that should have been adjusted during factory assembly.

I know the prevailing logic especially here is that there are so many band saws out there that there is no such thing as a band saw value any longer (meaning you get what you pay for period). To me, the way to establish value for YOU in a crowded field like that is to make a choice that favors the way you are going to use the tool. Plus I think the people at Grizzly and the people that like their products would argue that the premise that you can no longer find value in a crowded field is flawed in the first place. Now I didn't buy a Grizzly band saw. But it seems to me that they have a heck of a lot of very happy customers.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Timberwolf blades.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Correct on the manual. I could have written a proper manual by the time I was done adjusting things.

The front wheel on the mobility kit is what had me scratching my head for awhile cause I could not get it to fully leave the floor when the saw was in the operating position. I have other mobility kits and this is the first one with enough play in the mechanism so that it simply will not leave the floor. It is not taking any of the weight apparently but it won't leave the floor. Called Laguna and the saw they keep in Tech Support does the same thing. So "its all good" I guess. That is a heck of a lot of slop in the mechanism though. Its not the position of the bolts for the bracket or the bolts in the mechanism either. I can see how much slop there is in there when I actuate the mechanism. I am OK with it...."sort of" but a simple comment either in their manual or their instructional video would save a ton of time for people who have mobility kits and are a bit stumped by this one.
    The manual sucks. It's ridiculous to frustrate the customer with crap like this. And their site has no tutorials that I am aware of. Another thing about the mobility kit: they sent me the wrong size bolts that attach the rear wheels. I don't have a clue what machine they may go on but it isn't this one. I had to take a trip to hardware store and pick up some bolts. It must have taken me an hour to figure out how to assemble this kit. But mine does seem to move around pretty well on my ancient concrete floor that is pitted really badly. I think for what you get it is priced pretty high at $150.

What I found is that the components used are really pretty darned good for a $1,000 band saw. The factory assembly leaves something to be desired which is why I ended up adjusting so many elements of the saw that should have been adjusted during factory assembly.
    Agreed about the components. I would argue though that band saws are pretty complicated machines. I think that they all have be tuned up in order to run correctly. It's the nature of the beast.

I know the prevailing logic especially here is that there are so many band saws out there that there is no such thing as a band saw value any longer (meaning you get what you pay for period). To me, the way to establish value for YOU in a crowded field like that is to make a choice that favors the way you are going to use the tool. Plus I think the people at Grizzly and the people that like their products would argue that the premise that you can no longer find value in a crowded field is flawed in the first place. Now I didn't buy a Grizzly band saw. But it seems to me that they have a heck of a lot of very happy customers.[/QUOTE]

"You pay for what you get" fits for me.

I would be fine with the field adjustments if Laguna just did a better job of preparing you for them. There is a tutorial on the assembly of the 14 twelve at their web site but trust me, it is about as useless as the manual. If you go to the bottom of their home page, chose videos and the 14 twelve video is easy to find from there.

i have a thread here that I initially started just to cover one adjustment aspect that mine needed that was not covered anywhere by Laguna. That eventually turned into about five adjustment aspects that I ended up covering. If you search for the Laguna 14 twelve here it will come up for you. It titled something like "Laguna 14 twelve table trunnion issue". Funny I started it trying to help other owners with one adjustment and the adjustments just kept coming.
    Last edited by James Nugnes; 03-08-2015 at 6:30 PM.

I would be fine with the field adjustments if Laguna just did a better job of preparing you for them. There is a tutorial on the assembly of the 14 twelve at their web site but trust me, it is about as useless as the manual. If you go to the bottom of their home page, chose videos and the 14 twelve video is easy to find from there.

i have a thread here that I initially started just to cover one adjustment aspect that mine needed that was not covered anywhere by Laguna. That eventually turned into about five adjustment aspects that I ended up covering. If you search for the Laguna 14 twelve here it will come up for you. It titled something like "Laguna 14 twelve table trunnion issue". Funny I started it trying to help other owners with one adjustment and the adjustments just kept coming.
    James, your thread with respect to the adjustment issues re: Laguna bandsaw are outstanding. And not just the problem with the trunnions and full movement of the table. You go on to explain in great detail what to do if the upper wheel hangs up. As well as how to make adjustments to the table relative to the blade. Thank you very much. I have copy/pasted this information in a Word document. I agree with you about the cheap ratcheting handles. I may convert to a decent set of threaded knobs. What a ridiculous pain they were to thread on! Once again - great contribution.

Blog Entries
    I have run 3/4" TW 2-3 VPC for years. Great results with kiln and air dried material; I don't saw any green wood.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've got a Timber Wolf 3/4" x 2/3VPC M42(Bi-Metal) Blade and although I haven't used it a ton, Its worked quite well for what I have done. The other TW blades I have I've all been quite happy with. I will say hitting a nail will dull them pretty much instantly, but that's probably true of any HSS blade.

+1 on the mobility kit. It does work well in terms of moving the saw but there is enough slop that my saw in never really solidly on the ground when I am using it. I got the kit and have not moved the saw very much so when I get a bit of ambition I am going to take it off and sell it.

I bought the 14 SUV about 6 months ago and never opened the manual - I just put the saw together. Even before it arrived I figured I would be tweaking on it for a while to get it like I want for resawing, but I think that's the case with most woodworking/metalworking gear. Just like buying a guitar, I figure the factory setup on the neck and action is just a starting point for me to fine tune to my needs and playing style.

Btw, the saw is awesome at resawing - you're gonna love your 14-12!
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Can't answer the question about blades but I'm curious if your delivery was impacted by the West Coast dock worker thing that ended late last month?

I have a 14/Twelve and mobility kit on order (already received blades, chose the Resaw King for that purpose) so I'm selfishly curious if I should expect my delivery any time soon. The only info I got from my local Woodcraft is that they'd call me when the equipment arrived...