Thread: Jet AFS-1000B mounting location advice in new Garage Shop

Question Jet AFS-1000B mounting location advice in new Garage Shop

I just picked up a Jet AFS-1000B air filtration system for my new garage shop (Will be posting shop build thread soon) and wanted to get some advice on where I should mount it for optimal circulation, etc.

Attached is a drawing of my shop. There is a 13-1/2" tall beam running across the shop which will slow down circulation, along with the water heater and furnace at the south end of the shop. The shop ceiling is approximately 8' tall.

The Miter station on the west side is planned but not in place and my table saw will be placed in the center of the shop and the remaining tools (Planer, Jointer, Drill Press, Bandsaw) will more than likely be placed on the east wall on mobile bases so they can be moved into location for use. Also, on the east wall in between the beam and water heater, is my initial location of where I'm thinking I will place my lumber rack.

With all of that in mind, does anybody have thoughts of where I should mount the air cleaner?

Shop_Layout.jpg

Is there any other info I could provide that would help?

Hi David,
    The general rule is to put it about 2/3 down the long end of the shop. Given your layout it looks like the best place to put it would be on the West side about 1/3 up from the door entry with air flow moving South. The other option that might work better depending on obstructions would be to put it 1/3 back from the garage door with the air flow being North. The beam causes some issues but depends on how thick it is. The Air handler usually hangs down about 4-6" and will have some pretty good clearance below the beam. Just my opinion based on where I put mine (but I don't have a beam in the way either). The main goal is to create circular air flow to pickup the small particles and the offset along the long walls helps create that base on mounting directions and what I've read.

Randy...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bonella View Post
    Hi David,
    The general rule is to put it about 2/3 down the long end of the shop. Given your layout it looks like the best place to put it would be on the West side about 1/3 up from the door entry with air flow moving South. The other option that might work better depending on obstructions would be to put it 1/3 back from the garage door with the air flow being North. The beam causes some issues but depends on how thick it is. The Air handler usually hangs down about 4-6" and will have some pretty good clearance below the beam. Just my opinion based on where I put mine (but I don't have a beam in the way either). The main goal is to create circular air flow to pickup the small particles and the offset along the long walls helps create that base on mounting directions and what I've read.

Randy...
    I'd like to keep it off of the west wall as I plan to have that be my main cabinet/storage wall. I was kind of thinking about putting it somewhere north of the beam on the west wall and above the service panels. I'm kind of planning on having my lumber rack in-between the water heater and the beam, so wouldn't prefer to place it there.

I am kind of moving it around the shop right now as I work to see whats working best. So far the best is in-between the beam and the water hear about 2/3 up the wall on a shelf that is currently sitting there in a temporary place. I think I'll move it onto a shelf above the service panels and see what kind of results I get.

Also, when you say 1/3 back from the garage door, are you saying 1/3 from the garage door north to south or floor to ceiling? I'm taking it as north to south/horizontally. Also, with the beam being there, would it be best to hang it so that it hangs either slightly below the beam or directly level with the bottom of the beam and pushing the air north?

Appreciate the response

North of the beam on the west wall would work. Air flow should move South to North given that location (essentially clockwise). I hung my unit from the ceiling but I've seen others where it is sitting on a shelf. When I say 1/3 back from garage door pretty much is the location you described north of the beam on the west wall. Your beam will disrupt the air a bit as it is pretty tall so if you can get at least part of the unit below the beam, best if you could get most/all of the air flow below the beam that would be best.

Randy...