Thread: Designing a Mission Style Fireplace Mantle

Cool Designing a Mission Style Fireplace Mantle

They had a mantle made by the carpenters who trimmed out their place a number of years back. It was essentially three boards with molding applied to the face & a shelf. Like many facades, it lacked substance and girth.

They wanted a mantle that was substantial but had clean, bold lines, no fine detail or filigree. I rendered a corner of the proposed piece that I felt had those qualities. It ended up as ‘Mission Style’, in appearance.

Here is a shot of one of the columns being assembled…

We wanted to appreciate that it was made from wood but to stain it very dark… so I was able to use poplar & maple ply.
    As I write this post, we have just finished doing two rooms in wainscot & a wine storage wall unit for them, all in the same style. Seems they liked the way it turned out.

if you haven't seen our website.... clicking on my name at the top, gets you the link....

Very nice!!! Love the color and the lines!

Great job! Did you biscuit the whole thing together? I've been a big pocket hole guy and am just now getting into biscuits, which seem to come in handy in certain applications.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Mighty fine looking work!

Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon