Thread: A heads up on sharpening jointer knives

Blog Entries

A heads up on sharpening jointer knives

I bought the Woodcraft 6"X1"x18" granite plate today. It and the Deulen jig are a very serious sharpening combination.

I sharpened a set of 6" knives in less than 30 minutes. Spritz of water on the granite holds wet/dry sandpaper in place. The edges are dangerously sharp now. There are no burrs or nicks. I've been wanting a flat surface for a while, so when I became aware of the granite blocks, I made it point to buy one.

I will be able to establish very flat bevels on my chisels and plane irons with this surface plate.

I like those things too, and sharpen my jointer knives the same way, only with the Veritas guide. I bought one of those plates when they were on sale, and cut it up into pieces to put individual sheets of Diamond Lapping Film on. I had all four pieces on one plate, liked the height and stability, but not having to switch it around in the middle of honing. I used the wet brick and tile saw to slice it up with. Cheaper alternatives are surely there, but for 25 bucks when they're on sale was fine with me. I also bought a large one off Craigslist for other uses. I really like how the surface holds the paper.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-03-2015 at 4:01 PM.