Quote Originally Posted by Ian Scofield View Post
I'm looking for sheets not discs. I've looked at the site and it's a lot more complicated than walking into HD.

What is the general sandpaper? Klingspor gold? Not looking to pay a bunch per sheet, but looking for quality in bulk. Does anyone have a go to sandpaper from here or somewhere else?
Ian - more complicated than HD is a good thing. You have the ability to choose what you want to buy, rather than what they want to sell. Plus - sandpaper is not a "one size fits all" kind of hting

First, you need to settle on what abrasive material you want. I understand that may be confusion #1.

The two most popular would be Alum Oxide and Garnet. I think the AO lasts longer, but I believe the garnet cuts quicker and cleaner - as you use it, the little chunks of abrasive don't wear down, but they fracture, exposing a new sharp face/edge.

I use the garnet for hand sanding wood - I like how it acts. Plus - it is cheap - $13.45 for 50 sheets.

For sanding finishes, though, the garnet is a bad choice for the same reasons it is good for raw wood. There, you want something more like the AO - stearated. THe stearate is a lubricant that keeps the surface from clogging up.

I am not much help here - I am fixed on one brand for sanding finishes - 3M 216U. Its gold - would be a bit surprised if this is in your HD - not too common to find, so I am always mail ordering it - 320g, 400g, 600g. Big bucks - 50 sheets shipped is around $1.25/sheet. Other guys might have as oem guidance on paper for finishes

If I was going to advise you - I'd say get a few sheets of garnet paper locally - your Ace Hdwre likely has it, or a paint store. See how it works for you.