Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker Visit: Martin Shupe

Creeker Visit: Martin Shupe

Creeker "Mr. Shaker" Martin Shupe and family stopped by this evening for a quick visit while passing through the area. It was really great to meet his whole family, including the new sabaca (pooch in Russian...what can I say...it's what I have been calling dogs all month ) they picked up in Nova Scotia. He also had a fine piece of "firewood" from Andy London in the back of the minivan...and slightly less than half of the log section is now sitting on my workbench after the MM15 made quick work of it. (The other half...the bigger one...is going to magically appear in Bill Grumbine's capable hands "real soon now")

I'm really glad they stopped tonight as Dr. SWMBO and I had a rough day with all the silence in the house...the girls went back to Russia yesterday after their month here and that was not a happy time for us. The conversation and tour really helped brighten things up. And Martin's son astutely pointed out that we now have some baby fish in our pond/fountain, too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds like it was a good time. I guess we will see something emerge out of those chucks of "firewood" you guys have now!

Jim, hope all goes well with your plans and the kids!

Corey

always nice to have a visitor, especially one that comes with gifts of wood.

lou

Doesn't look like Martin has lost any more hair so the trip must be going well

A super family to have visit and yes Martin sure likes the Shaker furniture, look forward to some of his projects he has planned.

Have a great week!

Andy

Glad you guys got to visit. I enjoyed talking to Martin in the short time I did at Steve's.

Wow, I was just about to ask how the girls were doing...sorry to hear they have left. What's the nest step in the adoption process?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy London
    Doesn't look like Martin has lost any more hair so the trip must be going well

A super family to have visit and yes Martin sure likes the Shaker furniture, look forward to some of his projects he has planned.

Have a great week!

Andy
    Yeah, I notice Jim didn't make any forehead comments this time, eh Andy? Martin and family will be arriving here later on today, and we'll see who has the biggest forehead around!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    Yeah, I notice Jim didn't make any forehead comments this time, eh Andy?
    You will note that my head was tipped back a little. But what's missing up front is more than made up for in the back...hee hee (And that "firewood" is awesome...)
    --

Man...Martin...talk about a road trip. I was the first one you stop by and I still have'nt seen your "creeker visit" thread....

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful trip!!!

Nice that ya'll got to visit there Jim. Next time, get Martin to fly both of you to Little Rock and I'll meet ya'll at the airport!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Next time, get Martin to fly both of you to Little Rock and I'll meet ya'll at the airport!!!!
    Yea, well, I'm not sure how well I'd do fitting in the necessary packaging to be aboard one of his planes...and I think it's illegal. Besides, Memphis is his normal starting and ending point and I doubt neither of us will enjoy the parachute drop into Little Rock. There was also no room in his Honda Minivan with the dog, kids, wife, luggage and, of course...wood...so that option was out, too.

But who knows...I may get back to Bentonville and be able to fanagle enough time to meet up, at least somewhere.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    You will note that my head was tipped back a little. But what's missing up front is more than made up for in the back...hee hee (And that "firewood" is awesome...)
    I hope it is as good inside as it looked under the bark...this is truly firewood in the sense that didn't make it past Seth's eye from my blocking to his splitting with the tractor....Funny to watch him split as he takes a shaving off the side of the wood and if it's interesting, well, it goes up to the turning pile, I suspect you should be able to see the pile from the states one of these days It's taking forever to get the wood split this year

There were a number of other woods we wanted to send you guys but space was at a premium in the van. however, we will be down! Weather permitting when we go to Sugar Loaf skiing in December or next summer as I want to visit a number of WW folks on the east coast of the states and there's lots of room in the truck!

Andy

Hey Jim, good for you! I would consider this quite an honor. Let's see... Martin's visited Kelly Mehler last summer. And now he's visited Kerry Pierce, Christian Becksvoort, and Jim Becker this summer! That's quite an honor that Martin would stop by and see your shop. He's very discerning in who he goes to see you know

Seriously, good for you guys! Nothing like a visit from Mr. Shaker to shake things up in a somewhat somber home. Hope you guys are doing well.

P.S. Martin - I flew the F-18 sim! You were right, no pics allowed!

Jason, this is actually Martin's second visit...this time with family in-tow. So that says how "discerning" he is... His first visit was the same weekend that he had a layover in the area and did the Philadelphia Furniture and Furnishings Show with me on day and a turning lesson with Bill Grumbine the next...a little over a year ago, if my memory holds. We've also hooked up in the DFW area when I get down there for business.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Jason, this is actually Martin's second visit...this time with family in-tow. So that says how "discerning" he is...
    The fact that he's visited ME backs this up...

KC

To all,

I am honored to have so many woodworker friends across the country that are willing to let me drop by (sometimes on very short notice, as in Jim's case) for a visit. If it weren't for Badger Pond, and now Sawmill and WC, I would have never had the opportunity to meet so many talented folks.

We got home a few days ago, and we all survived, including the puppy. Now I have to build a fence, asap.

I am now wading through 19 pages of new posts, catching up on all I have missed while away. I waited until I had access to high speed internet, so I could see all the wonderful pics.

Andy, thanks again for a wonderful visit, and you were more than generous with the lumber exchange. I owe you more than a few more pecans.

I want to make it clear that Andy sent the turning wood to Jim and Bill, and that it is a fantastic piece of curly maple. Can't wait to see the bowls that come out of it.

Jim was kind enough for a quick visit on short notice. He gave us a tour of the house and shop, and told us about his (hopefully) future children. We are sorry we missed them, and wish him success in completing the red tape expeditiously.

Bill was very kind as well, and the highlight of our visit was Bill teaching Ethan to turn a top and cluck like a chicken. I'll let Bill explain that last comment, but suffice it to say that Bill's sense of humor is priceless, and that when threatened enough, my son will follow directions to the letter.

Donnie, all of your pics are on film, currently at Walmart. I had one day at home between when I saw you and when we left, so you will forgive me for not posting sooner. As soon as the film is developed, I'll have a few posts to make.

I saw KC earlier this summer, and can attest to his excellent work with mesquite.

My wife has enrolled me in the wood buyers anonymous 12 step program. I am not allowed to accumulate any more wood until I finish all outstanding projects.

It was a great trip, but my family was ready to be home. I am too, but alas, I had to go back to work.

Jason and Dennis, I'll get around to you eventually...

Thanks again,
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style