Thread: Dust collection: 1" Water Column = .036psi

Dust collection: 1" Water Column = .036psi

Dust collection: 1" Water Column = .036psi

Never knew this, so now I see how little suction a normal dust collector generates. Looks like a standard dust collector is good for about .5psi, while a shop-vac is good for about 2 psi.

Just thought I would mention it, because the Water Column data never meant much to me, and I never was able to get a feel for the forces involved.

The specs on my Oneida Dust Cobra says it pulls 90" of water column.

That Dust Cobra is well beyond the average shop-vac!

Yeah, the Dust Cobra is a top of the line machine that fits certain jobs better than the lower priced vacs. I also own one of the small Ridgid shop vacs that I use for small jobs and I connect it to my ROS sander.

My dust collector performance improved dramatically when I threw away the bags and filters and started exhausting outside. The 1.5hp DC performs more like a 3hp unit since there is no back pressure. I don't know how this affects the machine specs but in the real world it makes a huge difference. The factory specs decrease quickly when the filters start clogging up which is why I have made every effort to either eliminate them or purchase a machine designed to clean the filter in place. As fas as chip collection goes I have a problem with the chore of stopping all to frequently to dump a bag or a drum.