Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: beismeyer fence is not flat? saw marks as I am ripping?

I picked up a piece of corian and I will be rebuilding the fence, any recommendations on what screws to use? also how many? 4 or 5?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    What is the best option for material to replace the fence with, price is a concern... i did see on amazon you can get sheets of plastic, would something like that work? Or maybe a thin aluminum extrusion?
    Aluminum will flex.

You can do this:
    lsfence1.jpg
    lsfence2.jpg

For more information on what I did go here
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

i got the piece of corian, I just need to remove plywood fence and attach the corian.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Glenn, I was not really implying that the fence should not be fixed although it did kind of come out that way, just that the teeth dragging on the whole length of the cut is not the fault of the dip in the fence. The fence should be fixed and the tablesaw aligned and blade checked, two separate issues to my way of thinking.
    We are in agreement Larry. The typed word is sometimes not as clear (<=== read sarcasm here) as we would be were we speaking face to face. No problem, I get your drift.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I picked up a piece of corian and I will be rebuilding the fence, any recommendations on what screws to use? also how many? 4 or 5?
    Sorry Cody. We weren't ignoring you ;-) I would use 5 but, I cannot say just why; more fasteners equals less stress per fastener maybe. Corian will flex so you want to get your tube surface shimmed, bond-o'd or whatever to where it is flat before you screw your corian down. I have seen several posts wqhere people have used corian successfully. Do you plan to counterbore the face and attach from the outside by theading into the steel tube?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Corian needs to move. I used to install it and it was never fastened, just set in a bed of silicone. For this reason I am not sure I would bolt it. You may end up with a wavy fence, not sure as I have never tried it for this purpose. I would be more inclined to try bonding it to the fence first with silicone by clamping the fence/Corian sandwich to a known flat surface for a couple of days. If temps in your shop stay constant summer/winter it may not be a problem.

Just a thought....

Let us know how it works out as I have a couple of Biesmeyers that could use a reface and am curious.

I did some research, corian moves 2/32 over 42 inches with a 100 degree change in temperature. assuming center screw is tight, outer screws would each have 1/32 of flex, if I drill slightly oversized holes would this be ok? or will the flex just elongate the holes for me? I did 100 degrees as summer winter variance. it would only move that much over months.

sorry for the duplicate posts above, I couldn't see them being posted... I need to switch to linear view.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    That deviation in the fence isn't good. The fence faces can be shimmed or replaced. It's also not unusual for there to be more saw marks from a 24T rip blade than a 40T or 50T blade. If you want a smoother cut, use a similar quality blade with more teeth.
    Scott, I don't disagree with your comment entirely a 24T WWII rip blade leaves a very acceptable surface with no visible tooth marks. It is a bit rougher than a more refined blade such as the red rip line blades, neither of which in my opinion are joint worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Scott, I don't disagree with your comment entirely a 24T WWII rip blade leaves a very acceptable surface with no visible tooth marks. It is a bit rougher than a more refined blade such as the red rip line blades, neither of which in my opinion are joint worthy.
    I think it is at least partially the blade, I have a wwII cut everything type blade, it makes nice rips on most stuff, but seems to burn my walnut (freshly sharpened, did the same thing on my old table saw before it was sharpened) the 24t doesn't burn but leaves teeth marks.

Checking side clearance variance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7032df3xJk
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

thanks I only have a dial indicator, and the side dial ones are $$ I would have to find a new tip and make some sort of jig to measure it. I think it is mostly the blade, since my wwII cuts with no saw marks

Are you sure that your straight edge is accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Schmitz View Post
    Are you sure that your straight edge is accurate?
    all the boards I have cut that are freshly jointed have the same dip...

I know I'm late to the party but I had a Beise fence on a new Uni that was not flat. As others suggested I was able to get it dialed in perfectly with plastic shim stock. Keep this in mind the Corian may have the same issue.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I know I'm late to the party but I had a Beise fence on a new Uni that was not flat. As others suggested I was able to get it dialed in perfectly with plastic shim stock. Keep this in mind the Corian may have the same issue.

Mike
    how exactly did you do this?