Thread: R4512 riving knife issue

R4512 riving knife issue

Hi everyone,

I bought the Ridgid R4512 last year and have been fairly happy so far, but I am having an issue with the riving knife. When you have the riving knife setup as a splitter the very back edge makes contact with the throat plate. It happened with the original steel plate, but is also hitting my Leecraft zero clearance insert.

The riving knife is probably half an inch from the rear of the opening, and makes contact with about 1/4" more clearance needed. Could the trunions be mounted to far to the rear? I haven't found anyone with this problem.

The holes for the trunnion brackets should be cast into the top, so it's not likely that the trunnions are too far back. It's more likely that something is off on the bracket that holds the riving knife, or the holes for the knife itself. A fix should be fairly simple....can you notch the riving knife or expand the slot on the insert? Of you just fix the knife or mount if that's the cause.

Credit image to "Tom" on LJ's:
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-08-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I will check and see if I can shift the riving mount forward, but I think it is fairly close to the blade already. We will see. I didn't think the trunions would be the problem since everything should be cast into the top. Maybe I will duck out to the garage tonight after work and see what I can figure out.

It looks I might be able to adjust the mount maybe 1/8" closer to the blade and that will get me to maybe 1/8" clearance away from the blade. I guess I could always make a new riving knife and leave off the attachment points for the pawls.

Edit: scratch that. I can't bring the knife forward any more.
    Last edited by Christopher Cook; 03-08-2015 at 9:21 PM. Reason: Update