Thread: 1 Day furniture project that took 3 days- pics

Blog Entries

1 Day furniture project that took 3 days- pics

The LOML has strict standards for interior design that preclude the placement of “unsightly” home stereo components in the living room. Of course that’s a big problem for me because from my relaxation/ sound quality perspective, that’s the best place to put them.

After many years of failing to change her mind on this subject, I came up with what I thought was a stealthy proposal that might succeed; a “temporary” rack to hold the audio components in the living room for “a couple days” while I sort through some connection issues. My pitch was its much easier to access both the front and back of audio components in a “temporary rack” rather than the built-in AV cabinet that currently holds our stuff.

Much to my surprise she didn’t outright refuse, which I took as approval. Here is a picture of $75 worth of construction lumber from the local BORG I bought for the project (“Sweetheart,of course it’s temporary, I’m building it with 2 x 4’s”).

1.jpg

I grew up in a blue-collar family with three siblings and my dad would frequently knock out simple furnishings for the family home, like bunkbeds etc., in what seemed like an afternoon, and I thought I could easily do the same. That was my first mistake!

First step was to break down 12 foot “premium grade” studs into manageable lengths. In the interest of speed, I was aiming for “off the saw” dimensioning with no trimming via shooting board etc. What works for me in starting cross cuts is to position the tooth line at a very slight angle to the work piece to start to cut along the layout line and then transitioned into a more efficient 45° angle to finish:

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Here’s a couple pictures of the components that would make up the framework of the rack cut to dimension and glue up of the 1 x 10” pine boards for the shelves.

5.jpg6.jpg

As strictly a handtool guy, here’s a couple pictures of layout for final dimensions.
    6.6.jpg6.5.jpg

Blog Entries
    The pine shelves planed to final finish.
    6.7.jpg

As you may be able to tell from the picture, it took me all day to get to final dimensioned and smooth planed components. That put me officially a half-day behind schedule.

7.jpg

Day 2: again in the interest of speed, parts were glued and screwed together with dowels to cover the most obvious screws on the front. Once I started to dry fit the components, I thought even though its “temporary”, doesn’t hurt to shape a little curve into the underside of the horizontal components to lighten the look of the project. That took all day – now I’m officially one full day behind schedule.

DSC_0059.jpgDSC_0060.jpgDSC_0061.jpgDSC_0065.jpg

Day 3: the Boss signed off on a stain that would reasonably match existing living room furniture (about this point, I think she was starting to see through my flimsy scam). After staining, applied a few coats of polyurethane varnish and paste wax, it ended up looking exactly like what it is – cheesy furniture my college buddies and I would hammer together to have some place to put record albums. After moving the audio components I realized they were way heavier than I thought and ended up putting some rollers on the bottom to avoid aggravating my hernia once it was time to move the finished rack with equipment into place.

DSC_0068.jpgDSC_0071.jpg

Total time – 3 days, which was two days longer than I thought it would take. That’s when the trouble started.

In my haste, I cavalierly discarded sketching out any plans and built from the rough dimensions of audio components on a Post-it note. That was my next mistake. Somehow when it came time to put the heavy amplifiers on the bottom shelf the rack I discovered they didn’t fit! The rack was exactly ½” too narrow, and the shelves spaced exactly ½”too close together!

After much colorful language there were numerous trips back and forth from the living room to the shop to “modify” the rack. This started as “a little paring here and there” and quickly evolved into gross surgery that looked like it was done with a hatchet. Somehow there are no pictures of this, but it’s enough to say all the “touch up”wood stain markers in the world didn’t cover the damage.

In the end, I was able to get most everything to fit. Now all I have to do is try and sneak the speakers into the living room when the boss is out of the house. Somehow I think my "temporary” hi-fi set up will be short lived, so for now all I can do is enjoy it while it lasts. In the immortal words of John Lee Hooker time for “oneBourbon, one scotch, and one beer”!

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    The pictures looked nice.

The rack was exactly ½” too narrow, and the shelves spaced exactly ½”too close together!
    Too many of these erroneous measuring encounters has convinced me to move to story sticks and gauge blocks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks good to me.

When I worked in a local cabinet shop temporarily 20 plus years ago, we built a cherry built in (rather elaborate) that ended up being 6 inches too wide. Rebuilding it was quite the project.

Like what you did....you might consider doing pine in a natural finish. It can look quit eleegant with just dewaxed sealcoat shellac and some waterbased sealer or Waterlox on it. Sealing pine first gets rid of the blotchyness.

Blog Entries
    Looks nice! I have a similarly odd process when it comes to the house, my recent approach has been to simply make things that I like and ask my wife where she would like them. The result has been an elimination of an ikea table for one of my own....success!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

3 days isn't too long..... The sawing looks quick but the planing isn't. I would say it is good enough for the time taken. 3 days is a lot to ask when opinions comes in :P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Like what you did....you might consider doing pine in a natural finish. It can look quit eleegant with just dewaxed sealcoat shellac and some waterbased sealer or Waterlox on it. Sealing pine first gets rid of the blotchyness.

Thanks Chris for the suggestion. I much prefer a natural finish, but was trying to match color of some other furniture in the room. I don't have much experience finishing pine . I didn't realize I could seal it with some shellac and then put the stain on top of that to prevent the blotches. That's definitely an idea I will try.

Thanks, Mike

Funny story. Thanks for sharing. I'm amazed at the number of saw you own.