Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Attire

Every time I wear my VERITAS apron somebody asks me if I teach at Harvard....I guess they're real popular there

Blog Entries
    Cargo shorts and a t-shirt that can get ruined. Old converse on my feet or barefoot. Barefoot is probably not the best, but I hate shoes.

When I need to work with hot steel / metal or lots of flying chips / steel - my welding chaps, leather apron, leather boots, and a jacket (hair tied back and safety goggles).
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

A pair of Bib Overalls (much to the distain of my whole family!?!) Especially when I choose to go to the 'store' like that as well...

But I'm old enough that I don't care! They are roomy, never fall down (a problem with regular pants) and I can wipe what ever I want on them.

I hate sweats so that is not an option for me. If I'm turning, I wear my Lee Valley smock as well - hate wooden curlies heading down to my curlies
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I help out at a Boy Scout camp and most of the maintenance staff setting up for camp in early summer wear bib overalls. One of the camp rangers and his wife both wear bib overalls when working. They don't care if they are in or out of fashion. The ranger will wear his if he has to go into town for supplies. I saw the ranger once at a local watering hole near camp and didn't hardly recognize him without his overalls.

I think bib overalls would be too hot during the summer when it is humid so I don't wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    A pair of Bib Overalls (much to the distain of my whole family!?!) Especially when I choose to go to the 'store' like that as well...

But I'm old enough that I don't care! They are roomy, never fall down (a problem with regular pants) and I can wipe what ever I want on them.
    I am pondering ordering a pair of bib overalls much to the disdain of the family. Wife won't go anywhere with me wearing them.

I have two pairs of jeans and four t-shirts that are designated shop wear. The years of glue, stain, caulking and blood make them easy to sort out of the laundry. These go along with running shoes with mesh sides and orthotic inserts. I had two others t-shirts that were shop and basket ball wear. One of the people I played with used to say it looked like I was sweating dirt.

I think I could go for bibs....

2525782-3-4x.jpg
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

My shop is not heated or air conditioned, so what I wear depends on the season. Summer is teeshirt, shorts, and sandals. Winter is lined jeans, teeshirt, heavy sweatshirt, shoes, and a jacket in the early morning. Maybe a knit cap on cold days.

Aprons and tool belts are mostly sawdust catchers.

Winter boots and old clothes this time of year, a cap and ear protection is always worn too, helps keep my ears warm and my tinnitus from worsening.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Sightly ripped jeans, a few shirts, a hooded sweatshirt (its cold in the basement now), a hat (sort of baseball style) and a pair of old dress shoes.

Never got into the apron thing.
    Same here. I'm always within reach of any of my tools, I might have to take a step or two, but carrying things around with me seems pointless. I wear whatever I'm wearing that day in the shop, I don't have shop-only attire.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I don't have shop-only attire.
    I own "banned" attire from the shop. Yes indeed. More than once the words, "you aren't wearing THAT outfit to work in the shop have been said by a nameless individual.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I think bib overalls would be too hot during the summer when it is humid so I don't wear them.
    Nope. I wear them in the tropics. They breathe better than pants. It's just like cowboy boots. You would think they would be hot but every step is a breath of fresh air.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Do you puff Malcolm?
    No, that was my grandfather's. I love the smell of pipe smoke but not the taste. I just thought it would be a funny picture with the pipe. I tried it and it was okay but that night I dreamed I was licking an ashtray. True story. I woke up with soot taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I think I could go for bibs....

2525782-3-4x.jpg
    No kidding, but it would work out more like this in my shop...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    What do you folks wear in the shop when working? I usually wear sweats in the shop. In the past, overalls were in fashion, but the fashion police seemed to have culled them out. Do any of you really wear an apron?
    Rich, I wear safety footwear (normally steel toe shoes), short sleeve shirt, pants and a Lee Valley apron.

If I'm turning I wear a set of coverals that keep the shavings out..............Rod.