Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Attire

Jeans and a top appropriate for the season. Never wear an apron unless I'm turning. (which I haven't done in a long time)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just don't wear bib overalls and an orange shirt to Home Depot. I helped six people before making it out of the store. Testament to how frequently I am there- I knew what aisle every item I was asked about was on.
    They must have realized you didn't work there if you didn't run away when they approached you.

I like to wear flannels and jeans. Comfortable and practical. Occasionally a black or grey roadster style hat too. Boots all the time
    Last edited by Clay Foreman; 01-14-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Foreman View Post
    I like to wear flannels and jeans. Comfortable and practical. Occasionally a black or grey roadster style hat too. Boots all the time
    Welcome to SMC Clay! Glad to have you join us.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Old thread. I do have a rough leather apron which seldom gets used. But I have a long vinyl lab apron which I first purchased for washing the dog. I find it works very well when staining or applying other finishes. If you saw the front of it, you would see why. It has saved many tee shirts and pants. I have a drawer in my dresser reserved for "grubs", clothes too ripped or stained for normal wear.
    NOW you tell me...

I'll slightly revise my previous post since this has been resurrected...I now use suspenders to, um...suspend my jeans so my shirts stay tucked in. Even though I use extra long shirts (Duluth Trading junkie...), the amount of bending and twisting involved in woodworking, home improvement and other tasks causes things to come apart and drives me bananas. No more.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like I missed this one a few years ago.

I wear work jeans (arborwear - like Carhartt but better and local), old t shirt, and no-hole Crocs. That’s what I usually wear outside the shop too!

Generally I don’t wear an apron, my shop is small enough that nothing is very far away.

After a near miss with a kickback, I've been thinking that an apron with some padding or armor, or an umpire's chest protector, might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    After a near miss with a kickback, I've been thinking that an apron with some padding or armor, or an umpire's chest protector, might be a good idea.
    i would not think of an apron as a second line of defense against kickbacks because I take measures to prevent them from happening in the first place. Kickbacks have never happened in my shop, even before the days I was protected by riving knives. Better study the possible causes for kickbacks and how to prevent them.

But I could relate to a real story about kickbacks. A lady pal came to the shop sharing a scary kickback experience she had the day before. She showed us a severely bent ball point pen which she had in her apron's pocket when the incident happened. She said there was a huge bruise on her chest as well. The wood's impact on her chest was mitigated by the fact that the wood hit the ball point pen first.

Simon

When I was working as a toolmaker we wore white aprons with 3 pockets. They were great for holding tools and pencils. I always put on a white apron from the shop out of habit, when working in the wood shop.

Michael,

I know butchers frequently wear white aprons but didn't know toolmaker's did. After starting this thread quite a while ago, the main attire is overalls. The wife's dislike is as high but she doesn't talk about it. Those pockets you describe certainly are handy in overalls. It's also handy to be able to keep a phone available.

I have a couple of pair of Duluth firehose paints that I rotate. Usually a sweatshirt, unless it is in the summer. Lately, I have had to throw on my heavier 'sweat jacket' as the temps are in the low 40's in the shop. (At least until the heater catches up.)

And I do have an apron I throw on most of the time.

And I am required to change in the basement before I come in the house proper...

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    <p>
    I wear bib starting right after Thanksgiving. Now a story, I shovel at the church. There is a 99 year old man that goes to Mass every day. He picks up the old lady’s on the way. One day he asked where do I get pants like that? Do yo have them custom made? I answered no I just bought 3 new pairs. His reply was “WOW, you’re optomistic”</p>
    <p>
    I wear bib starting right after Thanksgiving. Now a story, I shovel at the church. There is a 99 year old man that goes to Mass every day. He picks up the old lady’s on the way. One day he asked where do I get pants like that? Do yo have them custom made? I answered no I just bought 3 new pairs. His reply was “WOW, you’re optomistic”</p>
    At 99, he counts every day he wakes up to be a blessing. You should buy him a set.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I wear bib starting right after Thanksgiving. Now a story, I shovel at the church. There is a 99 year old man that goes to Mass every day. He picks up the old lady’s on the way. One day he asked where do I get pants like that? Do you have them custom made? I answered no I just bought 3 new pairs. His reply was “WOW, you’re optomistic”
    Last edited by kevin nee; 01-15-2018 at 8:03 PM.

blue jeans and a t shirt. We have a system. Any of my clothes that are deemed to be unsuitable to wear in public get some black magic marker dots on the label. Those are shop clothes. They CAN NOT be washed with any of the "real" clothes. And I found a clip on pouch that holds my 6" rule, pencils, marking knife, tape. No apron.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.