Thread: "East Caroga" or "Bayshore Wholesale" Cyclone Separators?

"East Caroga" or "Bayshore Wholesale" Cyclone Separators?

Wondering if anybody knows about the cyclones that are being sold on eBay by a user called "eastcaroga" - he advertises them for $149 to $199, depending on inlet size. As far as I can tell, the seller also sells them via http://www.cycloneseparator.com/

He's selling the cyclone separator only; you'd have to rig up the blower motor, etc. possibly from an existing portable DC unit.

I didn't see any other reference to these cyclones recently (a brief discussion from 2007 is all I found) - so I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about the cyclones and whether they're worth the (seemingly too low to be true) price tag?
    Last edited by Marty Tippin; 02-23-2015 at 2:39 PM.

I have one, but I haven't installed it. I bought it because I already had a DC. When I researched most reviews were favorable. He did add a neutral vane. It was well packaged, and quality appears good. I am going to vent outside, so it makes sense for me to take the risk in trying it. It will be at least a month before I install it.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I have one. If you're on a budget and already have a motor and impeller in the >2 HP range, it's a great way to get chip separation.

I went from a 3HP 4-bagger that I modified to have Wynn Filters on top and dual thien baffles inside of the rings. That setup had massive amounts of suction and worked pretty well, if it weren't for the fact that the retrofitted plastic bags on the bottom leaked like crazy no matter what I did (weather stripping, duct tape, etc). The filters also loaded fairly quickly even though I had more filter area that most cyclone setups, because I use a drum sander in my shop... even the best cyclones struggle with drum sanders, and my thein separators struggled. That's when I decided to take the motor and impeller off of the 4 bagger, get the eastcaroga cyclone, and exhaust outside.

When you exhaust outside, you can be a bit more forgiving on the separation efficiency because you don't have any filters to clog. It does well enough that I couldn't detect any dust on the outside of my shop... That said, my unscientific observation is that it very noticeably reduced the suction of my DC system. I recently started dismantling my current shop and was pretty surprised to see how much sawdust was sitting in my main duct that hadn't been removed. Some of that might just be a function of my duct design though.

The other thing is that the galvanized steel it uses is pretty thin, so it flexes when under suction. It doesn't leak, so I'm probably just being picky. For the price, it's a good choice.

I bought one of these several years ago and I use it in series with a single stage 2 HP DC. The DC has a Wynn filter on it also. Aside from the fact it takes up a rather large floor footprint it works extremely well. It collects virtually all the visible dust and chips and passes on to the DC nothing to be collected in the plastic bag. I volunteer in a shop that makes toys for kids in hospitals and shelters and we have a Laguna 3 HP DC. My jury rigged system separates more of the dust and chips than the super duper Laguna. The dimensions of the cyclone, location of the baffle and intake port seem to be just about optimum for excellent separation.

How does the price compare to a "Super Dust Deputy" from Onidea? As for thickness of metal, when I was doing workshops building the "Wood Cyclone'" we used 26 ga metal with no problems. But the Wood Cyclone used a rigid MDF frame to support parts which could make a difference.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-24-2015 at 8:39 AM.