Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New project: Fire sensing laser cut out system - and maybe more later.

dan.jpg

Not mine but the owner is a member here and may well be able to tell you about acrylic fires.....
    You did what !

I see you save laser fire photos too Dave
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Dave, I think that one would have set off a fire sensor! Were they cutting with the paper on the top surface? I just don't get any flare ups at all unless I leave the kindling (top paper) on the acrylic.
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Well, I'm pretty sure we can design something to avoid these pictures. That's the goal.

Then I'll set something on fire to test it...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I see you save laser fire photos too Dave
    Got 50 or so of them Scotty all caused the same way

Dave, I think that one would have set off a fire sensor! Were they cutting with the paper on the top surface? I just don't get any flare ups at all unless I leave the kindling (top paper) on the acrylic.
    It's the down-draft Keith, that accelerates a fire at incredible speed, a bit like a blacksmiths forge in some ways, much of the time it's detritus on the bed or in some cases under the bed. I've been out to some real horror stories over the years where a machine hasn't been cleaned for weeks
    You did what !

cheapest way , IMO , is to employ a minder and operator. Our operators would get summarily fired if they left a machine unattended, they all know that and its in their employment contract.
    GCC has some sort of fire suppression system or warning system called Smartguard
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Your website shows almost all of your products to be acrylic. If you are saying that that has a slow spread on fire, you might need to look for the post recently where thin acrylic was cut and caught fire. Acrylic is NASTY as far as fire. Been doing this about 8 years now and acrylic causes me GREAT concern. I'd leave wood long before leaving acrylic, and I cut a lot of acrylic.
    I agree, I've never had wood catch fire but I have had numerous times with acrylic. I'm always watching it so it never gets beyond a point where stopping the laser and merely blowing on it won't put it out, but as has been already said, that difference is seconds.

OK I'm definitely raising my goal, a fully automated fire control system with escalating unattended response.

1) Cut laser/alarm
    2) 15 sec delay and then fan shut off and full cabinet CO 2 purge followed by re-venting.

and maybe with push button settings for different materials.

Its quite frankly ridiculous that we'll spend tens of thousands for machines that need to be watched like a hawk less they self destruct. Its like having to watch a home furnace all day and night, lest it should burst into flame. I've been convinced that my attitude is hazardous, but I cannot hire a person to watch a machine that is not used full time and I wear enough hats as it is.

And please can we focus this thread on this problem/solution idea. I did not come looking for a burnt out machine thread, I came trying to avoid it.

Scott: Do you have some more details on what you tried (what sensors if you recall, where you had them - even your arduino sketch?).
    Graham Facer
    1530 Omni CNC router (run with Vcarve), Shenhui 1200 x 900 150W reci laser cutter (now with EFR F6 hopefully)
    48" Generic Vinyl cutter, Roland engraver, and a dalhgren and vanguard on the project table.

...My pet peeve is a good thread with no conclusion because the OP solved the issue and disappeared. Either that or bus fatalities are much higher than reported.

Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Facer View Post
    Its quite frankly ridiculous that we'll spend tens of thousands for machines that need to be watched like a hawk less they self destruct. Its like having to watch a home furnace all day and night, lest it should burst into flame. I've been convinced that my attitude is hazardous, but I cannot hire a person to watch a machine that is not used full time and I wear enough hats as it is.

And please can we focus this thread on this problem/solution idea. I did not come looking for a burnt out machine thread, I came trying to avoid it.
    My daily driver cost $50k... but it doesn't drive itself. I could spend $1 million and it still wouldn't drive itself. Just because a machine is expensive doesn't mean responsibility for operation falls out of the window.

Several of us have given you a list of potential pitfalls in your solution, it's up to you to determine how to get around them. If you won't listen to those of us who have been there, done that, I don't see how much more help we can be. You're determined to make a fire prevention system that is likely doomed to not prevent fires, so I'll wash my hands of it now and just hope you don't get harmed in the process.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Rodney, it's difficult to see, but it appears the sensor is the same type used for overhead sprinklers (alcohol-filled glass capsule)? I imagine if it's hot enough inside the cabinet to burst the capsule, the cabinet is already destroyed. The system may shut down the laser, but by then it's too late.

Dan , I have no idea of how it senses...
    as you so rightly said , we as a community have given our input , so lets see what the OP can produce.
    It might well work brilliantly and be $200... if so , I will take a dozen of em...

On commercial HVAC systems they have smoke detectors in the ductwork. Sometimes one before the fan and one after. These could be set to sound an alarm, say 20 seconds before the CO2 goes off. It shuts down the fan and the fire suppression is triggered. CO2 is cheap and I would rather have it trigger and dump than not.
    On laser systems the smoke detectors would need to be adjustable to a higher or lower level as needed.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    On commercial HVAC systems they have smoke detectors in the ductwork. Sometimes one before the fan and one after. These could be set to sound an alarm, say 20 seconds before the CO2 goes off. It shuts down the fan and the fire suppression is triggered. CO2 is cheap and I would rather have it trigger and dump than not.
    On laser systems the smoke detectors would need to be adjustable to a higher or lower level as needed.
    Anything that can catch fire will create smoke in the laser, so the moment you start processing material the alarm will trigger... and no, you can't set a lower limit to the amount of smoke as there will often be LESS smoke once something catches fire.

In other threads, we've already discussed the danger to human life of dumping CO2 (or other gases) into the bed to smother the fire, so I won't rehash that here. And if you wait 20 seconds from the time the alarm goes off to when the gas is flooded, your machine is likely already melted.

As a commercial HVAC tech who worked in many large computer rooms I saw systems that worked. If its good enough for a multi million dollar data center it should work for a $20k laser. The room is vacated (before) and ventilated after the dump.

If using a CO2 extinguisher is hazardous then are dry powder ones safer? Choosing not to put out a fire because of the hazards of using an extinguisher would be a tough choice.

There are many ways to detect a fire, UV detectors, flame flickering and temperature sensing that does not rely on melting a link or capsule. I have an Omron controller setting on my workbench that with a RTV or thermocouple sensor can pick up a temperature change in a manner of seconds.
    Last edited by Bill George; 02-24-2015 at 9:23 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10