Thread: powermatic 60 motor options

powermatic 60 motor options

hello fellow wood workers. Last year I picked up an early 70's powermatic 60 8" jointer. It has a leeson 1.5 HP 3 phase motor. As i am just starting the renovation process, id like to hear as many thoughts and opinions on what i should do about the motor. I obviously cannot get 3 phase power in my house, so do you think I would be better off spending money on a new, single phase motor, or on a VFD or RPC? I will not be using any other equipment with a 3 phase motor, so would a VFD better serve me (between the vfd and rpc)? Any single phase motors i have found have been upwards of $250, and even $350 for a leeson. Im pretty sure i could get, or build a VFD for cheaper than that, but do not have any info to back up that thought. If the vfd is the best, and cheapest option, how do these units work? Does the 3 phase motor plug into the vfd, and then the vfd into the wall outlet? and would it have to be a 220 line? If anybody has some insight, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

I would go with a VFD. This would give you a very nice soft start feature for your jointer just like the soft start feature on your router. 1.5hp rated VFDs should be pretty cheap. A quick ebay search shows you can pick up a 2hp rated VFD for about $150. Running a smaller (1.5hp) motor on a larger (2hp) VFD is fine and will not cause any issues.

I believe I have come across one VFD that used 120V input and supplied 3ph 220v output, I don't remember if it was a 1hp or 1.5hp rated VFD. Most all VFD's used to convert 1ph to 3ph use 240v 1ph input.

VFD's have terminal lugs, so you hard wire to the VFD. You can hard wire a receptacle to the VFD so you can move it between multiple machines. You will also hard wire a plug to the VFD input appropriate for your 240v receptacle.

When a VFD is plugged in it is always running. It does not supply power to the machine until you push the start button but the fan is running as long as it is plugged in. So you can either unplug the VFD when you are done with it or you can put a switch in front of the VFD... But you should never use the switch to cut power to the machine, always use the stop button on the VFD before you cut power to the VFD. It is really not a hassle but I thought I would mention it as it might make a difference between choosing to go with a 1ph or 3ph motor.

With 3ph motors there are no starting capacitors or centrifugal switches to break or wear out. 3ph motors should pretty much last forever!

I have a 10hp rotary phase converter for my 7.5hp radial arm saw because VFDs of that size are too expensive. I have 3 VFDs for smaller machines. I would always choose a VFD over a RPC if price was no option.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 02-23-2015 at 1:48 AM.

For 120 volt input, VFDs top out at about 1 HP. You can get a 220 volt 1 phase input, but may need to get a 2-3 HP VFD, as 1 1/2 HP is uncommon in 3 phase.

If it were me, I would be on the lookout for a 1 1/2 or 2 HP single phase motor. Other than the soft start, I don't see any reason to vary the speed on a jointer. I bought a used Powermatic 66 that was 3 phase, so I had the same decision to make.

John

i have a 240v line for my powermatic66, so that's luckily not an issue. I guess price, and the benefit of 3phase vs. single phase power to the jointer would be the deciding factors. from what i understand, 3 phase is much more efficient and, as mike said, would last forever. It sounds like a vfd is a more viable option, considering a single phase, quality motor would run in excess of $350 shipped. thanks for your inputs, if anybody has anything more to offer, please do!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Duran View Post
    i have a 240v line for my powermatic66, so that's luckily not an issue. I guess price, and the benefit of 3phase vs. single phase power to the jointer would be the deciding factors. from what i understand, 3 phase is much more efficient and, as mike said, would last forever. It sounds like a vfd is a more viable option, considering a single phase, quality motor would run in excess of $350 shipped. thanks for your inputs, if anybody has anything more to offer, please do!!
    Yes, 3 phase motors are generally more efficient than single phase, however that depends upon the motor.

The VFD will introduce some conversion losses as well.

I would go with a VFD and keep the 3 phase motor.

With the single phase conversion you'll have to buy a motor and a starter so the VFD looks very good from a cost perspective...........Rod.