Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assmebly table input requested

When I made my dining room chairs... needed a very flat surface to assemble them on...
    Decided to make a David Marks torsion box, then made it variable height...
    Very similar to what you are thinking of doing except used air cylinders to take it up / down (already had them)...
    Here is link to video and pictures of it.....
    woodweb.com/galleries/shopbuilt/posts/57.html
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-02-2015 at 3:43 PM.

Ed A.: That is slick!

I love that you did drawings. It makes it so much easier to understand your ideas.

Lots of keen observations already provided. The base can be significantly smaller than the top which not only allows better clamping, but facilitates several other possibly intriguing design features. A tilt top (to a position like a Ritter, Kreg, Castle FFT - implemented like an architect's drawing table) is really handy for doing face frame work, and slotted metal or wood edge guides can be "slid up" to allow quick squaring on a corner. Perhaps that could be implemented as part of your scissors mechanism (drawing #2)? Assuming this is paired with a traditional workbench, consider the torsion box with much thinner top and bottom skin to keep the weight down. I see 3/4 inch in drawing #2, but with the right internal framing, perhaps 1/4" would suffice? Adding laminate makes it "non stick", easy to remove the inevitable glue and also clean. The scissors ... pneumatic tables are great ... not sure how well we can implement that with wood. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Attached photos are of an architect's table (old technology) created by a very creative architect friend many years ago using the worm drive and gears from a greenhouse venting window. It worked beautifully and could be scaled up for a pitch adjustable table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, I love the ideas. I have thought about using something on the edges to install or as you put it " Slide up" I like the idea of sliding them up (less of a chance of losing them in the shop). Also I will be working on the scissors mech. When I have built something I will post what I did. As far as the top thickness. weight is not much of an issue and I would not want to go too thin as I plan on clamping to it and would hate to pull a clamp through a 1/4" material. 1/2" might be an option. But with 3/4" I could route a T-track in in I wanted to add clamping in the middle.

Love the drafting table. The mechanism is beautiful. I would love to come across a few of them. Not sure what I would do with them but would love to have a few.

Ed, That is very nice. I am going to try to make the scissors out of wood...but if that does not work so steel will be in my future.

I have seen videos of a table that uses car scissor jacks to raise and lower. You just adjust it with a cordless drill. I believe plans are available.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have seen videos of a table that uses car scissor jacks to raise and lower. You just adjust it with a cordless drill. I believe plans are available.

The designs I have seen for this involve a box-within-a-box design with the car jack designed to raise the inner platform with the wheels on it to move it around, and then you lower it back onto its own feet/legs when you get it where you want it to be. Mostly, though, that as been for heave pieces of equipment like a shaper or router table, or maybe a multifunction cart with a grinder, sander, etc, on it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.