Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who has the lowest cost laser cutter that'll handle 1/4 wood?

Who has the lowest cost laser cutter that'll handle 1/4 wood?

Just curious who has the lowest cost laser engraver/cutter out there, that'll cut 1/4" thick basswood.

I don't mind assembling it myself.
    I don't mind making multiple passes with the laser.

Blog Entries
    China.....
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

That depends.. How many times do you want it to cut before it breaks down, or you get so frustrated with the software that you chunk it out the window and get something that will do the job better... Then what will it cost you to get another machine?
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

A 1 watt laser will cut 1/4 inch thick wood.....eventually
    A 9,000 watt laser will cut 1/4 inch wood so fast it's impossible for any drive system to keep up

Everything else is somewhere in between
    You did what !

Like everything in life - you get what you pay for and to me, peace of mind, reliability, support etc is well worth the extra because it will even out in the long run
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

I have a true 40 watt GWeike machine ( replaced the tube) that cuts 1/4 inch cedar, A true 50 watts would be better and faster. The eBay ones rated at 50 watts are more likely a true 30 watts... maybe. Low cost Good Chinese machine, check with Ray Scott at Rabbit Laser USA.

For better quality Trotec or any of the Made in USA machines.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

How about some numbers, guys?
    How much do the cheap ones from China cost?
    How about a more reliable one?
    I'm thinking something entry level, around 40 watts?

A 60W Chinese laser will probably do what you want to do - 80W maybe better. You'll regret not having a USA machine daily but if you don't have that kind of cash to spend it's an easy choice. Some types of wood are more difficult to cut than others and multiple passes are often not good.

Ray Scott can help largely if you don't want to fool with the Chinese vendors but you can save a little there (China-Shenhui, Gweike, etc...). It takes a while to get one from China and Ray likely has one on hand, will set it up, make sure it works, and help out in any way possible. I wouldn't have bought a machine from China if I had no idea. I really didn't have ANY idea but believed I did when I ordered one

My internals haven't quit rolling yet and I've had this big laser for about 3 weeks. My first laser was a used deal that Ray delivered and I don't remember any grief at all - was making stuff before nightfall.

BUT, I need to say that you should know the differences in a chinese machine and a USA machine so you can make the correct choice. For me, it was a simple choice (money). For somebody else, I wouldn't venture a guess.
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)

Here's a start:

Boss Laser
    Full Spectrum Laser
    Rabbit Laser USA
    Lightobject
    Automation Technology Inc.

A 60W Chinese Laser runs somewhere around $7800 (Ray Scott). The USA lasers, Trotec, ULS, Epilog are considerably higher! I'm thinking you get what you pay for either way. There's a Trotec machine at work that I would almost kill to have - but it cost more than I'm willing to pay and nowhere in the ball park on the size.
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Here's a start:

Boss Laser
    Full Spectrum Laser
    Rabbit Laser USA
    Lightobject
    Automation Technology Inc.
    Matt gave a nice list of some good lower cost machines that are still reliable.. I guess the question to you is. How much do you want to spend.. Stay away from anything that ebay has in the $700.00 - $1500.00 range (New).. I would say to get into something that is going to be reliable and do what you want you will be looking at somewhere around $3500.00 to start..
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Harris View Post
    You'll regret not having a USA machine daily but if you don't have that kind of cash to spend it's an easy choice.
    I certainly don't regret not having a USA machine. There is nothing of consequence that a USA machine can do for me* that my Chinese machine cannot - and I saved about $40k.

* I almost exclusively cut with my laser. I am not an engraver. If I engraved more, and had the business to keep it busy engraving, then the extra money for a USA machine would make sense.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

We get people all the time on here with eBay machines, and some don't work. Then they post questions, already either have the answers or don't want to believe the answers they do get and start arguments. Can't believe the eBay seller lied to them about the power and the warranty. Same old story, time after time. Cheap sells.
    Either buy from a US vender, or have lots of experience repairing and using lasers.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

So far I love my Rabbit and have had no significant problems with the machine, I did have problems with software but it was my not knowing and not the software. My 60 watt cuts 1/4 pretty easily and 1/8 like butter. and it engraves pretty good also. An equivalent machine from the big 3 would be many thousands more. Go Rabbit or was that go Pats oops time to change the avatar
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert

Are you serious?
    An equivalent machine from the big 3 would be many thousands more.
    There is no Rabbit that's the equivalent of the "big 3" machines.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7