Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4' LED shop light

Blog Entries
    I would shy away from 4700k LED's and stick to something under 3200. Anything g over that is that cheesy hospital white light. I'm talking kelvin, not lumens. Get all the lumens you want but keep the temperature lower to look more natural unless it is a paint booth where you want daylight.

Yes on the 4700 light being antiseptic feeling, but I have CF replacement bulbs in my ceiling fixtures and the combination is warm AND well lit.

Never chose the color temperature of a bulb (3000OKto 6500OK) based upon what someone tells you. The differencesin perception between individuals and what their eyes see and brain interpret are enormous.Buy some samples and try them. Especially important with LED bulbs because theylast so long. Personally have a shop and house stocked primarily with 5000OKbulbs and a few 6500OK bulbs.

Blog Entries
    On lifetime of LED lights...

The lifetimes listed are for the LEDs themselves (despite marketing getting involved and making it appear as if it's the entire bulb), and its the same lifetime LEDs have listed long before they were ever involved in general lighting. The problem is, it's not the LEDs that fail, it's the control components (typically a capacitor dries up). So the LEDs may still be good, but with no way to actually turn them on, well...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

+1 what Lon said. I have all daylight t8s in my shop that I have converted as the old T12s failed and will never go back for shop lighting. To each their own.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Crosby View Post
    Never chose the color temperature of a bulb (3000OKto 6500OK) based upon what someone tells you. The differencesin perception between individuals and what their eyes see and brain interpret are enormous.Buy some samples and try them. Especially important with LED bulbs because theylast so long. Personally have a shop and house stocked primarily with 5000OKbulbs and a few 6500OK bulbs.

I think for a shop, where you want to see the details, etc its actually better to have the higher temp bulbs. Those 'soft white' versions are best suited for a living room lamp

This is kind of ironic. I ordered (2) more of the FEIT lights via Amazon Prime (I don't pay for shipping), and this is what arrived. Two freaking huge boxes, each with (1) light. And on the Amazon box - where they could have put anything that they considered important - they put "Rate this packaging: www.amazon.com/packaging".

Rate it how? Efficiency - FAIL, Protection of the item - PASS, Space in my recycle tote - FAIL.

2015-03-10 17.02.30.jpg

I was in Home Depot yesterday and they have 4' T-8 CREE LED conversion bulbs for $21.97 both soft white and daylight. They are supposed to be plug and play with no rewiring required. I'd like to give them a shot but was actually hoping the price was a bit lower. I know if I wait a little the price will come down but I'd like to see how they do. Was wondering if anyone has tried these yet?
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

9. I think one rub (sorry for the pun) is that the lights may not fit in the old fixture -- see issue here http://www.designingwithleds.com/rev...lacement-lamp/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    On lifetime of LED lights...

The lifetimes listed are for the LEDs themselves (despite marketing getting involved and making it appear as if it's the entire bulb), and its the same lifetime LEDs have listed long before they were ever involved in general lighting. The problem is, it's not the LEDs that fail, it's the control components (typically a capacitor dries up). So the LEDs may still be good, but with no way to actually turn them on, well...
    ^^^ This is exactly what I have found. I had put an LED bulb in a very hard to reach spot thinking I wouldn't have to change it for years, if ever. Dang thing didn't even last a year. I'm sure the LED itself is fine, but all the c4@p they put in front of it is still cheap as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I would shy away from 4700k LED's and stick to something under 3200. Anything g over that is that cheesy hospital white light. I'm talking kelvin, not lumens. Get all the lumens you want but keep the temperature lower to look more natural unless it is a paint booth where you want daylight.
    I have to disagree. I prefer 5000K for shop lights. This is nice and white, but not bluish like the 6500K ones. I also prefer higher CRI--which is a bit hard to find in LED tubes.

I bought the Feit 41k LED shop light from amazon. Which to my eye is perfect. Wish they had a version with a on/off pull switch.

I just put up a roll of led "tape light" its is a bunch (i think 600) leds on a backing that is sticky, I put in im my basement room where i do glue ups and finishing in the winter, I have 1/2 a strip up so 8ft, it is about as bright as a 75 watt bulb, I have the other 8ft to put up when I get a chance. and a another roll on the way in case it is not bright enough, awesome solution if space is an issue. it is about 1/8 of an inch thick, I stuck mine directly to the joist.

Bryan, I'm not sure whether you purchased these or not, but thanks for the information. I too live in Beavercreek and just picked up five of these for my garage at our local SC. I'm going to see how they do in there before purchasing more for my pole barn. Good Luck!

-Steve

I picked up one of the Lights America LED 4' lights from Sams and really like it. I changed all my T12s to T8 daylight bulbs a couple of years ago (5 - 8' fixtures, 2 - 4 ft fixtures plus this LED over the work bench. The color temp of the LED is 4000 and frankly I can tell little difference between it and my T8 2 bulb daylight fixtures. Bright white light. Comes on instantly.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan Giordano View Post
    I'd be interested in anyone's experience with the Sam's Club 4' LED shop light made by Lights of America. The stated rating is 4200 lumens, but I also know that FTC ordered Lights of America to pay 21 million for wildly exaggerating the light output of their LED bulbs (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/246355581.html). So has anyone had good or bad experience with this 4' LED shop light? Is it a decent product?