Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recently completed plane

Recently completed plane

Finished this recently. Snapped some pics before I sent it on to the customer. Variegated Olive wood with oiled brass sides.

Ron

I can feel my pockets emptying just looking at that beauty. Gorgeous work. I'm assuming it's close to a standard #4 in size. What's the bed angle?
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Wonderful, I so badly want to own an infill someday!

Chris

THing of beauty!

Ron. Beautiful looking plane. Is the iron bedded to the piece of steel behind it? It's not really an infill, is it? Just asking, as I probably don't pay attention as much as I should, but I haven't see one built this way.
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    I love that cap screw!

This plane is 8.125" long and uses a 1.875 wide iron pitched at 50 degrees. Jeff you're correct. Technically it's not an infill even though the rear tote has all the ergonomic advantages of the type well developed tote you typically see in an infill plane. The iron is bedded on a brass seat that is attached to the steel (in this case 440c stainless steel) bedding plate. This allows me to tune the bedding to an insane degree of accuracy and solidness. It sort of uses the theory of how a 3 legged stool always sits flat on the floor as compared to a 4 legged one.

Ron

Some day ..... Sigh.

Blog Entries
    When I grow up I want a plane just like that one.

Beautiful work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

10. Ron, a very timely thread and beautiful piece. Just last night I started work on a small smoother like your little overstuffed guy (mine will not be overstuffed, or anywhere near as nice as your pieces). Thanks for always sharing with the rest of us .

Beautiful Ron, just simply beautiful.

I have one question though, is there a reason why you didn't clock those screws?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Beautiful Ron, just simply beautiful.

I have one question though, is there a reason why you didn't clock those screws?

They move with the lever cap Hilton The only way to do that would be to mill the screw driver slot while they were actually tightened into the lever cap. It could be done I guess.

Ron

Stunning. That is truly a thing of beauty.

Ron, that plane is just drop dead gorgeous! The olive handle really grabbed my attention. And if she cuts as good as she looks, that will be the frosting on the cake. Gonna be a very happy customer!

Ummm, he IS allowed to actually USE something this nice, isnt he?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very neat work,Ron. You have a nice sense of design. A very perfectly proportioned front knob. But,if I make another brass plane with brass pins,I'm going to use the SAME brass 260 alloy as in the sides to make the pins. Alloy 360(which is all you can get round rods made of),looks pink beside 260 alloy. I'll just cut some square stock from the brass plate,and turn it round in the lathe,to make the pins exactly the same color. I used 360 alloy rod on my "Nessie" shoulder planes,and they look pink.

But,it is nice to see a thread about making something,instead of about sharpening,or choosing stones!!

Still keeping you in mind for the big boxwood.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-18-2015 at 9:49 PM.