Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Unisaw Purchase?

First Unisaw Purchase?

I just purchased my first Unisaw and naturally have a few questions. It's an older Model 36-945 with a 3hp single phase motor, right tilt, and Biesemeyer 50 fence. I paid $800 for it and seems to be in good condition. First, what do you think of the purchase and saw in general. I would like to buy a mobile base for it and came across the following as possible choices. Is one better than the other? Any other options?

Delta 50-284
    Delta 50-289

Also, missing from the saw are the following. Any suggestions on replacing these?

Riving blade
    Blade guard
    Blade wrenches
    Miter gauge

You may be able to get your wrenches here http://www.sawcenter.com/ I have had three of these saws over the yrs,I think they are the best back then and now even with all the fancy pretty boy saws out there.Their simple,nothing fancy but they work,lots of cabinet shops and schools have these old saws.I say you did good,congrats on your find----Carroll

I just bought an open end wrench the right size from Home Depot. It's been hanging on the saw for so long that I don't remember what size it is. I use a saw much like that every day. Miter slot size is pretty standard, so many choices for miter gauge. I use an overarm dust hood for a guard. My mobile base is an HTC. Sorry, no advice on the other questions.

I've had the 50-289 under my Uni since Day One - nearing 15 years. Works fine. Although - I ended up not using it nearly as much as I had thought - hasn't moved in 5+ years.

Seems like a fair deal to me - you didn't steal it, and you didn't get robbed.

> Get an aftermarket riving knife.
    > The OEM blade guard came off mine during initial setup, and hasn't been seen since. The definition of "mickey mouse".
    > I just have the stamped-steel OEM wrench, and some blocks of oak. Has always worked fine for me.
    > Don't bother with an OEM-style miter gauge. Lotta makes out there - I like my Incra - they have several models.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I bought my Unisaw used many years ago and still enjoy it. I think you did well at that price.

You won't find a riving knife--at least not a real one--for the Unisaw; the machine just wasn't designed for one. Looks like the Saw Center link can take you to blade guard/splitter assemblies and miter gauges similar to what would have been original stock on your Unisaw, but there are very good aftermarket splitters, guards, and miter gauges--not to mention fences, mobile bases, and so on. I have an Incra Miter 1000 gauge, for example, and like it a lot.

I can't give an opinion on the Delta mobile bases. Mine sits on a Shop Fox base. Which never moves. I'd get rid of it, but that would be the moment I'd need to move the saw around.
    Chuck Taylor

I have a 3hp, 1999 Uni, 36-816 "Grand Edition" (whatever that means) with 50" Bies. It looks the same as yours but mine's an off white color. I think you did pretty good on the price, you can always do better and you could do much worse. I paid a lot more for mine brand new.

I have the Delta 50-289 base under mine. I don't move mine very often but the base works great when I need to.

The older Uni's did not have a riving knife, they have a splitter. I bought a drop in splitter from Biesemeyer that works great. I don't know if they still sell them.

Don't waste your money on an OEM miter gauge, they are ok but nothing special. Invest in a good aftermarket gage like the Incra.

Enjoy your new saw.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I like the splitters you can get from Microjig.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I had a Biesemeyer snap in splitter when I had a Uni. I would hag gone with a Shark Guard if I hadn' stumbled across an Excalibur. Any miter gage will be bhai etter then OEM. I Got some open wrenches from Harbor Feight for the blad changes.

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is not my first post on the forum. Almost 2 years ago I jumped on board after just just picking up the following for about $400. I finally gave up on the 3 phase Jet table saw and sold it.

Jet, JTAS-10-3 Table Saw (Looks almost new with shiny white paint)
    Jet, 14" Band Saw with open stand
    Delta 6" Belt/12" Disc Sander
    Delta 6" Professional Jointer with base cabinet

Then everything mostly sat in the barn until just recently when I also bought at auction a Powermatic dust collection system, a whole shop filter and a Baldor grinder with a Veritas attachment. Everything there cost me about $150. I wanted to finally get started on some projects and begin my woodworking hobby but figured a good table saw was in order. Not able to find the kind of bargain as before I settled on the Unisaw mentioned earlier. I knew it wasn't a killer deal but good enough. Now, I'm ready to go and this is what's in my shop now although not fully organized.

Delta Unisaw Model 36-945
    Jet, 14" Band Saw with open stand
    Delta 6" Belt/12" Disc Sander
    Delta 6" Professional Jointer with base cabinet
    Jet JWP-16OS Planer
    Delta Scroll Saw - Old heavy cast iron
    Powermatic PM1300TX-CK Dust Collectior
    Whole shop filter system
    A couple of Baldor grinders
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 02-17-2015 at 7:40 PM.

Steve -

Rock'n'roll!!

Post photos as you get things organized.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Steve,

The only thing close to a riving knife add-on for a Unisaw that I know of is at a website called The **** Store.
    I don't know why, but SMC won't let me post the URL for their site. Bolt On Ripping Knife - (hope you can find it with this)
    I have no experience with this kit, but once considered buying one, then went with the Micro Jig splitter system.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 02-18-2015 at 6:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I just purchased my first Unisaw and naturally have a few questions. It's an older Model 36-945 with a 3hp single phase motor, right tilt, and Biesemeyer 50 fence. I paid $800 for it and seems to be in good condition. First, what do you think of the purchase and saw in general. I would like to buy a mobile base for it and came across the following as possible choices. Is one better than the other? Any other options?

Delta 50-284
    Delta 50-289

Also, missing from the saw are the following. Any suggestions on replacing these?

Riving blade
    Blade guard
    Blade wrenches
    Miter gauge
    Shark Guard makes a good blade guard combined with splitter for under $200. Dont know if he makes one for unisaw, but worth a look. Nice tool.

Miter gauge choice depends at least a bit on how much angle cutting you expect to do. If you do a lot, an Incra will give you great accuracy. If most of your work is 90* cuts, there are many less expensive choices.

Enjoy your new saw!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Do you have a welder? I made my own mobile base, it is much heavier duty then then store bought ones, I think I have 50-60$ into it, because I went with 2x3 by 1/4 angle iron, you could go lots thinner and still have a nice base. I got 5 inch wheels for mine, because my shop floor isn't flat.2015-02-11 20.02.05.jpg

I have a shark guard on my 04 unisaw, got the 4" dust port, now would go smaller, the smaller hoses will get just as much dust as the large one. Just keep a little heat in your shop to keep your saw from rusting up. Have my thermostat set as low as it will go, 45 and have no rust in the shop. Used to turn it off when I was not in there, but low is much better.

i am new to forum. i bought a canadian made unisaw about 1 1/2 yrs ago for $300. in good shape.however i recently had a kickback with miner injury.so i made a riving knive mechanism.have not used it too much yet but seems like it will work good.PICT0167.jpgPICT0164.jpgPICT0166.jpgPICT0169.jpg