I have been looking at the Infinity zero clearance insert for some time but it was relatively expensive and the screws to avoid the replaceable insert pinching the blade seemed to be a bit cludgy for an otherwise excellent insert. I, therefore, set out to create my own from a blank SawStop dado insert.

The first step was to create a channel for the insert to slide in to. I tried to use a dovetail bit but the angle was not large enough to hold the insert securely and I ended up buying a French cleat bit that had a 45 degree angle. (It looks like a severe dovetail bit). Below is a picture of the insert that has the channel routed out. (The French cleat bit is in the router table).
20150215_204841282_iOS.jpg

I then created the replaceable inserts with melamine covered hardboard that I got from a local big box store. I wanted readily available material that I could source easily.
20150215_223442220_iOS.jpg20150215_223530158_iOS.jpg

In order keep the insert from pinching the blade without resorting to screws, I came up with a wedge design by cutting a short piece of the insert and epoxying it in the channel with a point that would force the insert to the outside of the channel away from the blade. If you look closely at the end of the insert you can see the insert that looks a bit like an arrow. A picture is worth a thousand words.
20150215_223801692_iOS.jpg

The replaceable inserts must have matching 45 degree angles cut out that I do on my band saw. It is not as easy as simply cutting the insert with a single cut but it wasn't hard either with a miter gauge on the band saw. The replaceable inserts slide in the slot from the front of the insert and are wedged outward when they hit the permanently epoxied piece at the back. I think that it will work out well but time will tell if it is a good design.
20150217_011058296_iOS.jpg

I hope that this helps someone who may be looking for a way to make replaceable zero clearance inserts for the SawStop table saw. I have learned so many tips and tricks from this site, it was my turn to give something back to the community.

Tom

P.S. Sorry about all of the pictures being rotated 90 degrees. I have no idea how to correct that.