Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Twins! Pair of LN #4 1/2 Bronze Anniv Planes- sequentially #'d! Not for sale.

Blog Entries
    Actually, other than the posts that are simple derision (one of which was hilariously ironic), most of these responses mirror exactly what my initial plans were upon buying these. I planned on buying one for use and letting go of the other, but I kept getting opinions that the sequential numbering of these made them special somehow. I decided to investigate further before opening. I appreciate all the advise given honestly and without judgment.

By the way, these were purchased from the original owner, who knows exactly what they're worth. He bought them from LN and has kept them NIB ever since. He was just ready to let them go.
    Last edited by Greg Muller; 02-17-2015 at 1:55 PM.
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Pat:

The serial number would have really clashed with the engraving design - In fact, I did the 103 first to determine whether or not the outcome would be acceptable - ( I have a pretty good touch with metal but had never worked with White Bronze before ) so, as a result, I probably have the only LN White Bronze 103 in existence without a serial number! Take that for rare! They never issued a 103 in WB other than the numbered sets as far as I know.

Really though, my thought process was along the lines of what this thread is all about ( to some degree ) - the appreciation from my friend was far more valuable than owning a limited edition set of LN White Bronze planes - the OP was questioning using or not using something / keeping them together - to each his own I suppose. Just like my tattoos; no regrets from me whatsoever several years later - that to me is a good decision.

Dave B

Blog Entries
    I just had another thought. If you destroyed one, then the other would become more rare and therefore be more valuable. Having two makes them less rare and appear easy to get.

Sooooo- being the nice guy I am and all- please send one to me and I will ensure it is never seen or heard from again. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I just had another thought. If you destroyed one, then the other would become more rare and therefore be more valuable. Having two makes them less rare and appear easy to get.

Sooooo- being the nice guy I am and all- please send one to me and I will ensure it is never seen or heard from again. :-)

Same offer here - but I will pay shipping for you.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have no care or concern for the plight of these planes, but if Greg were not an established poster here and elsewhere I would almost think the post was intended to be a hand tool version of an Onion headline. If that was his intent, bravo, you sure upset some people with your terrible mistreatment of that inanimate object. Planes are meant to run free and be loved by their families! Won't someone think of the planes?!?!?

Blog Entries
    Malcolm and Kent, you guys are just too generous. As tempting as it is, I couldn't possibly take advantage of you like that.
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    I've received some email from folks who think that people who collect anything that has value over $1000 is doing it to out of a sense of privilege or snobbery.
    I find that comment strange. I collect old tools that I will never use, many costing over $1000., and consider it great fun - not snobbery.

I'm not a collector of anything. I buy tools to use them exclusively. But I have always had a great love for tools, especially beautifully made and unique tools. So, even though I don't collect, I understand the desire to do so. What I don't understand is the backlash. How could I possibly be upset over what someone else chooses to do with their time and money?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I'm not a collector of anything. I buy tools to use them exclusively. But I have always had a great love for tools, especially beautifully made and unique tools. So, even though I don't collect, I understand the desire to do so. What I don't understand is the backlash. How could I possibly be upset over what someone else chooses to do with their time and money?
    I have to agree Daniel. Some folks feel collecting old tools runs up the price. To me this only seems true for the higher end tool in fantastic condition.

Sadly the backlash you mention has driven at least one very knowledgeable member away from this forum in the past.

What many do not understand is many of the better quality old tools available today was because someone at one time felt it was worth protecting instead of leaving it out in a damp storage shed to rust away.

Though my accumulation of old tools is far from a collection, some might think of it as a hoard. If some valuable "collection worthy" tool came my way it would likely be put up for auction and then the money would be used to purchase one not so pristine to use in my shop. Though if it was a "New Old Stock" SW Hart #4, it would be very tempting to at least give it a test run or two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    #14 just popped up on eBay for $1200 buy it now and is still wrapped. There appear to be a number unopened ones out there. I have seen four or five on eBay in the past year. image.jpg

Although I am not a fan of the practice, I do support it if you are in poor health and your widow doesn't know what they are worth and is prone to garage sales. :-) I got a full set of DMT Diamond stones that way, but I did tell her their true value first, and that sadly I cannot pay that much. She said she really just wanted to see them appreciated. They are!

11. "LE's are generally thought to be made for collectible value."

Huh? I think of LE's as being made for working wood.

What's so wrong with collecting stuff? I dare say there would be very few old tools around if it were not for the collector tendencies in all of us. Anyone who has more planes than a number 5 is a collector anyway. Take that
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
    What's so wrong with collecting stuff? I dare say there would be very few old tools around if it were not for the collector tendencies in all of us. Anyone who has more planes than a number 5 is a collector anyway. Take that
    First, love the verse in your tag line. All the wooden surfboards or boats I build get Job 9:8 on them somewhere. Look it up.

I imagine we are all collectors of sorts. I admit to not letting go of my Stanley C's when I upgraded to LN and Veritas. One difference is they actually get used. I also admit to seeking C's over smooth bottom planes for no other reason than I think the C's are unique, and I just like the machining. I'm not a fan of keeping a new tool in the plastic just because it may be worth more. That said, if a man earns his money and that's what he wants to do with it, then so be it. It is ultimately a hunk of metal, but I do think all the loving work that went into it should be appreciated.

I do hate that it drives up the price. There is a guy right now on eBay wanting $2800 for a VERITAS Tucker Vise. OK just checked and the buy it now is gone and bids are up to $1900. I would love to have one, but I personally don't see it worth that. I would love to have an Emmerson, and probably will when I get the shop I want, but only if I find one under $700.

Speaking of $700, there is an open 4 1/2 bronze, serial no 408, on eBay right now with an opening bid of $700 at the moment. I would almost pay that but don't feel I need it enough to pay that price. I sure do love a heavy smoother.

Blog Entries
    All the wooden surfboards or boats I build get Job 9:8 on them somewhere.
    An appropriate scripture on a surfboard.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I appreciate a nice dressing gown as much as the next guy but don't taunt us this way

I think the criticism of wanting a plane for collecting, even if it isn't worth a thousand dollars ( I am guessing these are bellow that each) . . .
    I think disparaging that is kind of knee jerk.

I have planes I don't use partly because I was exploring possibilities when I bought them, partly because I just like to look at them. I still enjoy them as such.
    I read the other day that Bill Gates still has in his collection the first car he ever drove/owned (a sixties red mustang). Nothing wrong with collections as long as they please the collector.

I even, gasp, have pocket knives I don't carry.
    There now you know the worst.

Thanks for posting them
    how ever
    ahhhhhhhh
    I haven't read this whole thread but . . .
    the dressing gown is OK I guess but I want to see the lingerie or better yet the, dare I say . . . bare metal !

From past actual experience with buying at least one "collector" special addition LN
    I warn you to exercise extreme caution . . .
    I bought the 25th Anniversary Woodcraft addition #1 (on clearance sale)(I scored big time . . . (( pause while I strut around the living room like a baby chick that has hunted down and bagged its first bug))) . . .
    I bought the plane in the photo as a paper weight to commemorate someone and to remind me of them when ever I saw the plane on my desk.
    Now the ugly part . . .
    I found the plane taunting me and tempting me to use it.
    I resisted. Too small, toooooooo impractical . . . a toy . . .
    it kept at me.
    I tried just a taste with the tip of my pinky.

Now I am a regular user. I can't stop . . .
    the unassuming, petite, though singularly out of the ordinary, yet diabolically cleaver little beast has become a habit with me.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    It will start when you put a cambered blade in one and a finish blade in the other . . .
    just to see how they would look . . . you know . . . harmless playful stuff . . . then there will come a time when your regular smoother is dull and your eye catches the glint off one of these siitting in its lighted display cabinet . . . with the alarm system and fortress of invisible laser beams surrounding it . . . that is linked to the security company . . .
    annnnnnnd you know the code . . .
    oh yah
    well maybe just a swipe just to take off that last plane track.
    Then back into the cabinet.
    No harm done.
    Be afraid . . . be very afraid.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-22-2015 at 5:28 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.