Thread: Replacement Carbide Inserts for Grizzly planer?

Replacement Carbide Inserts for Grizzly planer?

Looking for a source to buy replacement carbide cutter inserts for my Grizzly G0453PX planer

Specs say they are 14x14x2mm, Grizzly sells them at $69.99 for a pack of 10 but (of course) they're not available until late March.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Carb...10-Pack/T21348

Had a pretty spectacular screwup today and need about 35 new inserts, will post photos and a story later in another thread...
    Last edited by Marty Tippin; 02-13-2015 at 4:51 PM.

Will these fit?

http://www.moulderservices.com/Produ...de=IC-14142-10

Or if you search Carbide inserts 14X14X2 on eBay a vendor is selling oertli inserts fairly reasonably, but I can't link that here.

I've also ordered very similar inserts from my local tooling place, CT Saw And Tool, much better pricing, they stock lots of different common carbide inserts, much better pricing than from Grizzly. If you have a local tooling place that sharpens your blades you might inquire with them too.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 02-13-2015 at 7:14 PM.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Looks like they might, I'll call on Monday and see if the center hole is the correct size (6.5mm). Thanks for the pointer!

4. Check out globaltooling.net

I ended up ordering from Global Tooling (www.globaltooling.net) this morning, best price I could find by a wide margin, and I got speedy response to my questions as to whether the inserts would fit.

Was pricing competitive with Grizzly?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Was pricing competitive with Grizzly?
    Grizzly wants $69.95 for a pack of 10 inserts http://www.grizzly.com/products/Carb...10-Pack/T21348

Global Tooling sells 14x14x2mm inserts for $1.73 each - $17.30 for a pack of 10. http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/...rt-knives.html

I did just now (after starting this reply but after placing my order with Global Tooling) learn that the original inserts on the G0453PX are actually 14.17mm square, not exactly 14mm square. There's a ompany that carries a German-made exact replacement for the "JT" inserts on the Grizzly cutter head http://www.oellasawandtool.com/produ...ral-Heads.html that are priced between Grizzly and Global Tooling.

I've inquired with John at Global Tooling as to the exact dimensions of their inserts - may have to cancel my order and go with the German ones if the Global Tooling inserts are not the same size.
    Last edited by Marty Tippin; 02-16-2015 at 12:04 PM.

So one final followup:

I ended up ordering the exact-replacement inserts from Oella Saw and Tool http://www.oellasawandtool.com/produ...ral-Heads.html, as they assured me that these were identical to the T21348 inserts required by the spiral head in the G0453PX (and G0453Z) planer. In fact, after placing my order online, I got a followup phone call from the company to confirm that I really wanted 30 (!) inserts and that these were really for the Grizzly cutter head. Very friendly folks and seemed to care about customer service.

Also on the plus side, shipping for my order of cutters and a bunch of replacement Torx head screws was less than $3.00 via USPS -- no inflated shipping prices to to gouge a little more profit from their customers as is so common these days.

Good to hear that it's going to work out. It's very nice to see how reasonable their shipping is too. Sounds like a good company.

I wonder if these are the same cutters that are on the 8" jointer (G0490X)?

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    \=I wonder if these are the same cutters that are on the 8" jointer (G0490X)?
    Yes they are, I have that jointer also and it uses the same carbide insert knives.

To follow up, the carbide insert knives from Oella Saw and Tool were a perfect fit for the "JT" knives from Grizzly. I got the planer back together and it's working as good as new if not better.

For anyone looking for his information in the future, the inserts are made by a German company called Tigra, model 188890 inserts; see a few posts above for a direct link.

I was impressed by the service from Oella Saw and Tool - in addition to the follow-up phone call after I ordered, the owner also included a personal note in the box, offering some tips for installing the new knives successfully. I'll definitely go back to them when I need more inserts or other services.

Glad to hear this worked out. I've bought a bunch of stuff from Oella Saw including carbide inserts for a few shaper heads, sorry I didn't think to point you there first! Dave Hicks is a real professional. Hope this gets your planer back in action.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

+2 on Oella. I tend to order stuff late at night and have gotten responses at midnight. Dave